CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

must spread around

Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
Rich Z
OK, so I've shown the admin panel I have to select the options from for the rep power determination. Any input on which ones should be given more weighting over the others? What SHOULD "reputation" be based on?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
Chip
Probably positive rep received #1, post count #2, and I guess time on the forum 3rd. It makes sense that members who are active and answer questions would carry more weight with their rep than someone who just signed up, but for me it's mostly a way to tell someone thanks for a helpful post.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
tsst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Probably positive rep received #1, post count #2, and I guess time on the forum 3rd. It makes sense that members who are active and answer questions would carry more weight with their rep than someone who just signed up, but for me it's mostly a way to tell someone thanks for a helpful post.
This sounds good. Plus reputation user spread to 1 please!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
Chip
Post count is a weird one now that I think about it. There used to be someone who answered "nice snake!" on every photo posted here. Similarly, just because someone signed up a long time ago doesn't mean they have helpful or informative posts. But rep user to 1 is a most welcome change.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
Nanci
But if your rep power only goes up every 1000 posts, you have to be pretty persistant about saying "nice snake!" for it to add up to much...

Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
dave partington
Can I trade in my rep points for an all expense paid weekend at the Serpenco Resort?

Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Can I trade in my rep points for an all expense paid weekend at the Serpenco Resort?
Sure! Well, all except the "all expense paid" part.

Bring work gloves and tools to clear out some underbrush and brambles. Yellow flies are in full force, so bug spray is suggested. Oh yeah, don't forget that bear we've seen roaming around here.

You can put your tent anywhere you want as long as you don't get in the line of fire if I should happen to shoot at a squirrel from the porch. And try not to put the tent right on top of a fire ant nest. There is water in the stream at the north end of the property for bathing and drinking. The squirrels seem to enjoy pine cones, and I think there are still plenty of them out there to eat. I really wouldn't suggest that you bring any food that might attract bears to your tent.

Anyway, back to the topic....

Heck, what REALLY makes someone a reputation in a setting such as a discussion forum? Does time on the playing field really matter? How about the bulk number of posts made? What IS "reputation" anyway? And what SHOULD it be based on?

I'm leaning towards having ONLY what rep points others bequeath to each other as being the sole determining factor. But maybe time on the field and number of posts being a filter to limit those members whose rep points actually will count towards someone else. Basically someone new has to earn the right to participate in that function. And the right would be partially earned by participating enough, via posts, and having been a member here for a measured period of time.

Or does this all sort of just take the FUN out of it all?

And how about limiting negative rep to Contributor members only?

Might as well put everything on the table if I'm going to be changing the rules.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #38
Nanci
I am not in favor of negative rep in any form for anyone. I think it will promote disharmony and grudges.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #39
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I'm leaning towards having ONLY what rep points others bequeath to each other as being the sole determining factor. But maybe time on the field and number of posts being a filter to limit those members whose rep points actually will count towards someone else. Basically someone new has to earn the right to participate in that function. And the right would be partially earned by participating enough, via posts, and having been a member here for a measured period of time.

And how about limiting negative rep to Contributor members only?

Might as well put everything on the table if I'm going to be changing the rules.
Like those ideas for rep.

I'm not totally opposed to negative rep, it can serve a purpose, but it can also cause some crap. It tends to work okay on Fauna.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #40
Chip
I agree that other users should have 90% of rep power since it IS reputation, after all. I currently have gray squares from new members who "repped" me, but it didn't count because they don't have enough rep power. In some cases, I was just the first person to say you can't keep all your corns in one viv. But in others, I Googled reptile stores for someone to help them find feeder rodents, made a phone call, or something that burned a few calories. People who go out of their way to help deserve a kudos even if the person they helped is new, IMO.

And negative rep, personally I'm all about it. I don't think it should be thrown around willy-nilly, and maybe it should be made public that X user gave this post negative rep (if we are on Vbulletin, that should be possible). And it will be up to us not to neg rep someone just because they are in a disagreement with one of our friends. The whole rep system's weakest link is forming alliances. Lame Internet alliances. We need to avoid those, people.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google