CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

hide boxes

Old 04-06-2002, 02:17 PM   #1
Traci
Question hide boxes

I have a half moon bark hide box. One on the cool side and one on the warm side. I was wondering how and if I should clean them or just throw them out and get some new ones. Also if I do clean them how long should keep them before I throw them out? Thanks for the info

Old 04-06-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
CornsnakeKeeper
It's entirely up to you. I think they are a tad expensive for hide boxes so you should try to scrub them a little when they get soiled and let them air dry. They may last for a long time if your corn never soils them. If waste doesn't come off very well, and it starts to either smell or look unattractive, then you will need to toss it. Some other hide box ideas that are cheaper are macaroni boxes, toilet paper tubes, and my favorite because they are easy to keep clean, plastic hide boxes made for gerbils, etc. Indestructible. Bought mine at a local pet store. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2002, 03:10 PM   #3
Traci
Thanks for the tid bit on the gerbil boxes. Since he never wastes on the hide boxes an they don't smell I guess they will last awhile.

Old 04-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
JakeTheSnake
I use broken pots as a hide the kind you can get at Wal-Mart or K-Mart for about .90. Very easy to clean and the seem to like it also makes my viv more nature. Reminds me of my grandma's garden area of her house.

Old 04-06-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
CornsnakeKeeper
Another tip-

if you're tight for space, you can get a plastic dog bowl that has places for your fingers on the sides to lift it up. The snake can drink out of it and they like to use the holes for hiding spots. They come in all different sizes for different aged corns.

Old 04-07-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
kieran
What i have started to use are 'Flora' tubs, i live in the UK, so im not sure 'flora' is in the USA, but it is like butter and u spead it on yer bread. There are lots of diff sizes so find one that as a snug fit for yer corn

Old 04-07-2002, 04:06 PM   #7
Missymonkey
baked twig a la king

What I do for the climbing branches I find in my back woods is to soak them in hot water with a little touch of soap for about half an hour (first I scrub off any moss or other foresty gunk I don't want on the branch of course) then I bake it in my oven (the door can be open if the branch is to big but don't let the wood touch theheating elements) on 200-250 for a half and hour to maybe an hour if it isn't drying out. and sand off any ruff edges. This should be good enough to disinfect it and get any surface crud off too. Cheaper than buying too!

Old 04-09-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
absolutneil
I use and suggest plastic planters. They are very cheap and easy to cut an entry hole in. You can get them at a place like Garden Ridge.

Old 04-09-2002, 01:20 PM   #9
Peter
for babies, you can't beat toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes cut down to toilet tube length. I save them from my school bathrooms all the time. It is hysterical to see 5 or 6 hatchlings all piled into one tube like it is a hollow log.

Old 04-09-2002, 04:17 PM   #10
Iris
I agree
toilet paper tubes or paper towel rolls are great! My snake loves them and if you look into one of the sides he's always curled up rigfht in the middle. How cute!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google