CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY clay hides I made

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Caryl
What a great idea! I think those hides look great, and your snake obviously agrees. I've never heard of sculpey. Where do you get it? What sort of paint does it take?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
jen murphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
What a great idea! I think those hides look great, and your snake obviously agrees. I've never heard of sculpey. Where do you get it? What sort of paint does it take?
I have been a long time fan of sculpey III. You can get it at any arts & crafts store (Michaels, AC Moore, etc). You can get all different colors too, which would eliminate the need for paint. They sell granite colored stuff which would add a nice touch. I've never painted mine but would assume acrylics?

Sculpey III is very pliable and bakes in the oven (or toaster oven even, just don't put things that are too tall near the heating coils) at 275 degrees F for 15 minutes for each ¼ inch of clay thickness.

The hides are genius! I am going for the natural look, but was kicking around the idea of a little "snake house" hide w/ siding & shingles on the roof, kinda like a doghouse, with a name plate on the front.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by fts stojen murphy View Post
The hides are genius! I am going for the natural look, but was kicking around the idea of a little "snake house" hide w/ siding & shingles on the roof, kinda like a doghouse, with a name plate on the front.
I love this idea! Show pics when you make them.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Caryl
Thanks for the tip! I'll head for an art supply store over spring break and try my hand at some hide.

Thanks for sharing the great idea.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Tavia
They look every bit as good as all the ones I've seen at the pet stores! And they did not come from China, no lead paint worries there!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #16
necromantica
oh wow wonderful, I love how you recreated the wood hide effect with the ripples!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
Mashedmelissa
Amazing idea!! I have been looking for some nice hides for my corn but they are either stupid/ridiculously expensive. I'm so going to get some of this and make some awesome hides

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
Leonore
I LOVE these!!! What a wonderful project for the kids! Thanks so much for sharing!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #19
Ricky87
They look great. I love the cave the best. My only concern is how toxic they may be. I'm sure their fine, but I would definitely not use paint on it that you don't know how harmful it is. Acrylic, for example, might not be the best idea. It can be toxic, and all it takes is for your hide-caves to have any moisture and the paint will come off. Especially with an active snake, that paint would end up right in the water dish. I'm not sure, but I would just keep an eye out for the first few days with it in your tank to see if their is any paint residue anywhere in your tank.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
carnivorouszoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky87 View Post
They look great. I love the cave the best. My only concern is how toxic they may be. I'm sure their fine, but I would definitely not use paint on it that you don't know how harmful it is. Acrylic, for example, might not be the best idea. It can be toxic, and all it takes is for your hide-caves to have any moisture and the paint will come off. Especially with an active snake, that paint would end up right in the water dish. I'm not sure, but I would just keep an eye out for the first few days with it in your tank to see if their is any paint residue anywhere in your tank.
That is why you would use a non-toxic sealant. Honestly a lot of people who work with sculpey that I know of use Modge Podge. I am pretty sure it is nontoxic. I will have to check. I also need to check the toxicity of Acrylic paint as I am sure while working with it I have ingested some on accident and I use it A LOT. It gets everywhere too but then I am a tad messy if it gets on my hands and I wipe my face for any reason I don't stop to clean up til I finish the project I am doing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
clay, diy hides, hides