CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Rep Points

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
danielle
I agree rep points need to have a point. Maybe its a helpful comment, good advice, or decent arguement, but I wasn't offended by wades post at all. He is knowledgeable along with robbie so who cares if they have a buttload of rep points- they should. I don't look at rep points as meaning someone is knowledgeable necessarily anyway and anyone who has spent any time on any forum knows the same to be true. I understand their intended point don't get me wrong, but I see people on many forums with a lot of rep and wouldn't take an ounce of advice from them. Discression and common sense tells you when advice is bad no matter the little or big number under their name.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
ghosthousecorns
Andrew, I don't really think they necessarily go hand in hand, LOL I care if people see me as a reputable breeder, but personally I couldn't give a rat's A$$ about being popular. I call it like I see it and I call a spade a spade. I don't care who it is if I disagree with them I will usually speak up, I don't do no butt kissing, I wouldn't want to do it any other way.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #23
admitchell08
Of course, Jen. And I completely understand that, as I am the same way. I guess I just misunderstood what you were saying about popularity and reputation. I was in no way trying to call you out on it, I was just not understanding how the two can be independent of each other.

(and for the record, I am not butt kissing right now either lmao. I just don't want to be put on anybody's sh*t list due to the misinterpretation of what I write LOL)

Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
ghosthousecorns
No worries, I got no list here, I would have too bad of a memory to remember who's on it anyway

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #25
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Thank You Rich!
I am in agreement with Mike on this. (We still don't see eye to eye on the cats though ) Not trying to be party pooper but I personally feel that Rep points should be earned. If they were "popularity" points then the way people frivolously hand them to their buddies for the nonsense would make sense. But they are "reputation points" ... how do you get a good reputation? By telling jokes? By repping your buddies so they rep you back? I feel you should get them by helping people out with their snake issues or making a good argument in a thread or starting an interesting thread that people like, or doing something helpful / constructive / meaningful. OK maybe if you post a great picture also.
It's just, I can think of several people who are relative newbies to keeping snakes who have a ton of rep because they just post a lot and have better "social skills" than some other members who are MUCH more knowledgeable and kept snakes way longer. Once just anyone can get reps for just anything they really don't mean much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Andrew, I don't really think they necessarily go hand in hand, LOL I care if people see me as a reputable breeder, but personally I couldn't give a rat's A$$ about being popular. I call it like I see it and I call a spade a spade. I don't care who it is if I disagree with them I will usually speak up, I don't do no butt kissing, I wouldn't want to do it any other way.
We may not agree about cats, but if I could, I would rep you for that first post you made. "Rep" points should mean something. They shouldn't be used like someone (I think it was Andrew) said - "Halloween candy". And like you, I call a spade a spade, apparently cats aren't spades though.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Roy Munson
I submitted a longer post, but I lost it. Not the first time, lately.

This is a non-issue. High post-count could be misinterpreted as greater expertise or trader rating, neither of which was ever intended to be a conclusion drawn from post-count OR rep points. Who would recommend enforced posting limits to prevent this misconception among noobs?

I was probably the highest post-count and rep member at one point. I know what I know, and I am who I am. These silly stats don't matter to me one bit.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
I call a spade a spade, apparently cats aren't spades though.
But they can be spaded.

I agree about the rep points to. I think to many people toss them around for nothing. I frown when I post some thing silly and get a rep but when I am serious about husbandry and get good replies to my response, I get nothing. So yeah, I kinda dont look at rep points the same here any more.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
Tula_Montage
Rich, can you provide blinkers to those who don't want to be a part of a particular issue/feature on this site. It is so freakin easy to just ignore it and not let it bother you.

There are many issues with cs.com I turn a blind eye to because it pisses me off or wait, because I just don't care!

Ignorance is bliss people...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #29
danielle
Has anyone noticed they can't rep anyone in the last few hours at all?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #30
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
I submitted a longer post, but I lost it. Not the first time, lately.

This is a non-issue. High post-count could be misinterpreted as greater expertise or trader rating, neither of which was ever intended to be conclusions drawn from post-count OR rep points. Who would recommend enforced posting limits to prevent this misconception among noobs?

I was probably the highest post-count and rep member at one point. I know what I know, and I am who I am. These silly stats don't matter to me one bit.
It should be a non-issue, but then you see posts, that are completely pointless, saying "rep me now". Rather frivolous and add absolutely nothing to the site. Mindless chit chat like that should be kept in the social groups or in chat, or at the very least in the DYK thread. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
But they can be spaded.
And should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
I agree about the rep points to. I think to many people toss them around for nothing. I frown when I post some thing silly and get a rep but when I am serious about husbandry and get good replies to my response, I get nothing. So yeah, I kinda dont look at rep points the same here any more.
What she said.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google