• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Controversial Discussion: Direction of This Site

Hey, What about this semi-idiot savant suggestion:
One suggestion I would like to make is for a new forum to be created that is specific to animals other than cornsnakes ( there are a lot of 'other animal' related threads in "General Chit Chat' that I'm sure could fill another forum and cut down on the volume of threads there), much like the "Other Animals and Related Items For Sale". Geez, You could just call it Other Animals, A forum for any animals other than cornsnakes: including your collections,photographs, animals in the news, etc... as a site full of animal lovers I'm sure this would be a popular one.
Just IMO.

Patience, my friend. I think you all know I have been severely disappointed with how the general discussion forums have been utilized over on FaunaClassifieds. It seems the major (perhaps ONLY) focus of the members there has been the BOI, and secondly the classifieds. Now that I have more time in my hands, I am strongly considering expanding the Chit Chat forum into a separate category, which will have segregated forums with more specific focus on topics. Nothing to the extend of what I have on FC, of course, but perhaps just generalized topics that are broader in scope, but more clearly defined so that people here who seem much more willing to post in a general discussion environment may find useful to at least have a soft focus on the general topic matter they wish to discuss.

But this is all just thinking out loud stuff. And of course I realize that approval for any change (or any changes NOT made) will not be 100 percent.

And the mod team has had several discussions with Rich over this in the past year which will account for some of the changes you have seen, including the increased leniency. The mod team has been in a "learn as you go" position basically from the beginning. We were given some rules and how to deal with certain situations, but with all the gray areas and the fact that no two situations are ever going to be the same, we act in the manner we think is appropriate at the time. Afterward, if there is a difference in opinion between the mods and/or Rich, we'll discuss it and sometimes are told to either be more forceful or to back off a bit. 99.999% of the time, we don't overturn any judgments, we just make alterations in our thinking and how we handle things the next time something similar comes along.

And the really tough part is trying to remember how something is to be handled that only happens only once in a blue moon, that you think was discussed sometime in the past and then having to wade through pages and pages of search results hoping to find what to do. And by then, another mod has already acted, appropriately or not, and we then end up in another discussion or simply using that decision as a guide for the next time.

Now I really need to shut my mouth as I see Rich is trying to get another sucker...er...volunteer to replace Mike on the mod team...

I try not to be too overbearing in how the mods handle the work load here. Remember folks, they are volunteering for this chore, and it would behoove me to try to make that as stress free as possible from my guidance. There have been times that I disagreed with decisions made, and have made that known, but I don't believe I have ever out and out countermanded a decision made by a mod. If I have, I'm sorry, but I just don't recall it. One thing I don't want to do is to break their confidence and make them so reluctant to make a decsion on their own that they refuse to make any decisions at all.

So I give them a LOT of leeway, and necessarily have to leave a lot of gray areas in the rules. Although it's not perfect, I think it has thus far been very effective.

Every time David makes a post there are a half dozen people who race to the front to antagonize him. Does anyone say anything about that?

Come on Wade that is horse hockey. David's snake posts go by largely unchallenged, it is only when David becomes an annoying twerp that people step in and say something.

If you are taking up for David and becoming his friend, that is admirable. There can never be two Wades, you are truly unique, but if even some of you rubs off that would be a plus. But remember when you associate with others that goes two ways, lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Come on Wade that is horse hockey. David's snake posts go by largely unchallenged, it is only when David becomes an annoying twerp that people step in and say something.

If you are taking up for David and becoming his friend, that is admirable. There can never be two Wades, you are truly unique, but if even some of you rubs off that would be a plus. But remember when you associate with others that goes two ways, lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Lucille I have many friends on this forum and a few enemies sure. I mean for instance today I personally met a member and he said people call me a hoarder when they themselves have more snakes than me! Also I become a annoying twerp (nice personal attack BTW) when people question things and call me names and antagonize me for stuff I had no intention of blowing into a mess. I suggest you know who you are talking about and their past interactions before you say stuff.

Susan, I know it is difficult to be consistent. I want you to know that I understand the difficulty of your job and appreciate the time and effort you put into it. I really do. And you have got to admit that when I have crossed the line and you have called me on it I freely except the errors of my ways and apologize.

If we established that damn and hell were ok, why did I get infraction points for saying “sh.t”? That is what I am talking about. I got infraction points for antagonizing a fellow member for making a comment about chicken skin and Vinney got his panties in a wad. Chris (tyflier) on the other had spews hatred with each breath and challenges the mods to ban him and he is still here.

Every time David makes a post there are a half dozen people who race to the front to antagonize him. Does anyone say anything about that?

Wade, you first have to distinguish between warnings and actual infractions, and then you need to make sure you know which moderator gave you the warnings or infraction points before you start asking questions.

I gave you a warning about the chicken fat comment as you know darn well that your comment had absolutely nothing to do with the thread's topic and you were purposefully goading Vinny. End of that subject...period.

The infraction you speak of for saying "sh.t" was nor given by me so you'll need to talk to Jeff on that one. End of subject...period.

If tyflier is making inappropriate posts, then why haven't the moderators receive any reported posts? I just ran a search and he has been reported a total of 3 times, and each has been basically a frivolous report. Show us exactly where he has been violating site rules and we'll take care of it. Voicing personal opinions on this site and being vehement about it is his right. End of subject...period, unless you have valid posts to report.

As far as David and the multitude of problems associated with him and those who seem to get great pleasure in antagonizing him...the mod team has been dealing with it for far too long and I personally am sick of it. We have given out temporary bans, sent PMs, and issued warnings and infractions. Can we help it if he continues to invite members to antagonize him and their resulting eagerness to do so? If you would prefer, the mod team can go on a massive, wide-scale banning binge to rid the forum of David and all members that seem to flock to every post he makes, but I'm afraid that if we do that, the daily activity on this site will drop dramatically. End of subject...period.

I try not to be too overbearing in how the mods handle the work load here. Remember folks, they are volunteering for this chore, and it would behoove me to try to make that as stress free as possible from my guidance. There have been times that I disagreed with decisions made, and have made that known, but I don't believe I have ever out and out countermanded a decision made by a mod. If I have, I'm sorry, but I just don't recall it. One thing I don't want to do is to break their confidence and make them so reluctant to make a decsion on their own that they refuse to make any decisions at all.

So I give them a LOT of leeway, and necessarily have to leave a lot of gray areas in the rules. Although it's not perfect, I think it has thus far been very effective.

No, Rich, you have never countermanded any of the mods rulings. You have done your best to guide us in how you want your forum to be moderated and we've done our best to try to follow your guidelines. The one or two rare occasions where a moderator's decision has been changed, it was done either after discussion with the other mods &/or with you, or after the moderator simply re-thought the decision/action, and in all cases, the ruling was reversed by the moderator that initially passed judgment.

Susan or any other mod.... I didn't know you could do that....
How many times have I been reported recently.... And have I beat Chris. Please tell me I have.....

Can we help it if he continues to invite members to antagonize him and their resulting eagerness to do so?
I don't invite it. I post it for the people that like me but those that don't seem to ruin it resulting in my witty and rude actions.

If tyflier is making inappropriate posts, then why haven't the moderators receive any reported posts? I just ran a search and he has been reported a total of 3 times, and each has been basically a frivolous report. Show us exactly where he has been violating site rules and we'll take care of it. Voicing personal opinions on this site and being vehement about it is his right. End of subject...period, unless you have valid posts to report.

Susan, expect your workload to be greatly increased now that you've put this out there. I'm sure there will be someone who will now go out of their way to troll Chris's posts and frivolously report them. It's forum playground 101.

Please do not mine old threads, particularly locked ones, looking for old scabs to pick. If you saw a post that broke rules a week ago, and you didn't report it then, don't bother doing it now.

I must of missed those replies
Snap :p

Personally I pretty much ignore any thread which doesn't interest me and watch with amusement the personal squabbles between other members result in them looking like fools...

As far as I am concerned the forum is moderated perfectly well, no complaints at all.

This is still the internet, isn't it?

Kings and kingdoms Rich, Kings and kingdoms....

Wes, you know full well now how I prefer to run my websites, and your disagreement got you banned permanently from FaunaClassifieds. I suggest that you do not bring that attitude of yours to this site.

WOW Susan, It's hard to be nice to you sometimes.

You challenged me about specific moderator decisions. I was nice enough to give you answers. If you don't like my answers, oh well.

Please take note...I have:

Generally speaking, if two parties are going at each other with wild abandon, rather then trying to figure out which one is the actual instigator, just give both a temporary cooling off period. There is only so much time available for reading all the posts made on this site, so some times simple expediency has to be the rule. This will also help drive home the idea that perhaps engaging in like attitude, regardless of it being simply in defense, is perhaps ill advised.

Susan, I was not trying to argue with you or challenge you in any way. I was simply giving examples of where I felt the gray areas were a problem. I felt the inconsistency was a problem. I was not talking about things you specifically had done but moderators in general, which is why I included the infractions handed out by Jeff.

And no, I didn’t like your answers. I felt they were unnecessarily abrupt. End of subject...period

I believe I have answered the questions about consistency. If anyone missed that answer, please seek it out when this question pops up again.

Wes, you know full well now how I prefer to run my websites, and your disagreement got you banned permanently from FaunaClassifieds. I suggest that you do not bring that attitude of yours to this site.

I think you misunderstood. It was more a joke about how hard it is to be king of your own kingdom.

And I thought I got banned for making a post in the wrong forum a 2nd, and inexcusable, time. I knew I had done it, by mistake, but twice was too much as you and I had both agreed.

Seems to be a lot of back hairs up around here.

The fact that these discussions are even taking place is a sign that the mods and management are doing the best they can. It's a thankless job sometimes.
It's like constantly cleaning up in a high traffic area that dirties itself in minutes.
Sometimes you just want to scream "everybody WIPE YOUR FEET!".

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm here because I like it here.
There are a lot of good people here. I would assume they are here because they like it here, as well.

Back