CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Brumation

Old 08-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Cornsnakeluver89
Brumation

What is the youngest you can brumate corns? And smallest you can breed.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
mishima25
I have heard of the 3 rule. Females: 3 years, 300 gr, and I'm sure I'm missing another 3.
For males it's aroud 2, but I don't know the safe weight.

I was told by my breeder youngest burmation should not be before 1 year old or 2. Plus there is no need to burmate unless you plan on breeding.

I have never burmated nor bred myself, so let's wait for experienced members who'll give you more advice.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
King Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima25 View Post
I have heard of the 3 rule. Females: 3 years, 300 gr, and I'm sure I'm missing another 3.

I was told by my breeder youngest burmation should not be before 1 year old or 2. Plus there is no need to burmate unless you plan on breeding.

I have never burmated nor bred myself, so let's wait for experienced members who'll give you more advice.
Not an expert here.. but the missing "3" your refering to is 3ft in length (3yrs/300g/3ft).

Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
MysticExotics
The rule of 3's is the general recommendation for breeding.

Brumating is not necessary, even for breeding.
It's easier to time ovulation with brumation, but you can still successfully breed without it.

You can brumate hatchlings (they do in the wild), but most people don't. I have brumated hatchlings, and the only ones I lost were non eaters in the first place.
*Brumating some non eaters did trigger some of them to eat, so it can be beneficial.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Nanci
It seems like everyone who brutes "enough" snakes inevitably loses one or two each season. It is not as safe as not brumating. Unlike the benefits it has for tortoises and turtles, it doesn't serve any healthy purpose for snakes- it is simply a way to survive a period of temps too cold to move around in.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
It seems like everyone who brutes "enough" snakes inevitably loses one or two each season. It is not as safe as not brumating. Unlike the benefits it has for tortoises and turtles, it doesn't serve any healthy purpose for snakes- it is simply a way to survive a period of temps too cold to move around in.
That and it gives the breeder a break from feeding and cleaning.

Some areas cannot brumate, due to temps being too warm in the winter.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
cool cat
mishima25 if you have a finicky eater bromating is a good idea , when you bring them back out of brumation they are usually ravenous feeders

Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima25 View Post

There's another THREE rule ... For surviving the desert apparently.

You can supposedly survive :-

THREE hours in the sun
THREE days without water
THREE weeks without food .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google