CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Sexing Corns

Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
nicolefowler2005
Sexing Corns

Ok guys I gotta ask you if you think it would be possible for me to learn how to safely sex my corns by learning from online videos? I DO NOT WANT TO HURT THEM IN ANY WAY!! But I'm honestly really starting to doubt that Bella is a girl!! She is literally huge and still growing! I know that those facts alone do not in any way mean she is a he but I just have a feeling the pet store was wrong!! I also got Otis from a breeder in Bangor Maine who swore he was a he but I want to know for sure! I really want the experts opinion on this because like I said I do not want to harm my babies in any way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
daddio207
Popping or probing for the first time amateur can be very destructive to snake. You really need to find a local expert to probe for you to know for sure what they are. Visual is only a guess. We can make a educated guess from pics but if your plan is to breed at any point then probing is a must.
I learned from NERDS decades ago. After doing it correctly for a few dozen times I ended up puncturing into the tail with the probe
Learning through online videos is not safe IMO
A fat female can look male. If the breeder popped Otis then he's a he. Popping male hemipenes out is pretty accurate

If you were closer I'd probe them for you ........

Old 03-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
nicolefowler2005
See that's the problem I have called every single vet in a 60 mile area that I could find online and none were comfortable doing it!! If there's a possibility of hurting them then there's no way I would even think about it though so thank you for the info!! I'll just have to keep looking for someone!! The other problem is trusting that whoever I find that says they can do it actually can safely!! I really do want to breed at some point but I have plenty of time cause neither snake is old enough yet anyway!!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Nanci
Do you live anywhere near Jay and PJ Coombs? PJC Reptiles? They're in South Portland. Are there ever Repticons in your area? Sometimes you can look at the vendor list and ask ahead of time if one of the vendors would be willing to probe your snake.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
nicolefowler2005
South Portland is only like 45 mins from me but I have never heard of them!! I will definitely look them up thank you!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google