CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Mandy the normal corn snake

Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #231
DollysMom
I got a Wacom tablet for my birthday. I'm a lifetime out of practice, and am trying to get back up to speed.

This is a tracing of one of my recent photos using the pencil tool. Then I went back over certain parts. It will be a long time before I'm back up to speed, but this was fun and does capture my Mandy.

The nooks and crannies of older snakes are definitely fun to draw!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #232
kdickens
I've never even heard of that. But it's pretty cool! You have talent you didn't know you had!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #233
Dragonling
Looks great, Gail! I should really see about getting my Intuos working with Windows 10.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #234
jet_set_willy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I got a Wacom tablet for my birthday. I'm a lifetime out of practice, and am trying to get back up to speed.

This is a tracing of one of my recent photos using the pencil tool. Then I went back over certain parts. It will be a long time before I'm back up to speed, but this was fun and does capture my Mandy.

The nooks and crannies of older snakes are definitely fun to draw!

That's excellent, well done

Ever thought of putting your work on T-shirts? I would like to get my order in!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #235
DollysMom
Thanks for the kind words. No on the T-shirts, but you are welcome to use this for one for yourself if you like! As long as it's a one of for personal use I'm fine with it.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #236
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
I've never even heard of that. But it's pretty cool! You have talent you didn't know you had!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Looks great, Gail! I should really see about getting my Intuos working with Windows 10.
Thank you kindly, both. This was really just a fine motor exercise that turned out pretty well. I have done nothing but photo editing for a very long time and that requires much less eye hand coordination.

As to the Intuos working with Windows 10, I'm sure they have updated the drivers. I'm on Windows 10 and also have the wireless kit. It works flawlessly for me on my laptop. I do have a Core i7 with Radeon graphics. That's all part of the equation as well. I used ArtRage 5 if you are wondering.

I'm hoping you pick it up and share your efforts, Dragonling!

Old 05-31-2017, 01:25 PM   #237
DollysMom
Mandy, May and vet visits

It has been a couple of months since my last update and a lot has happened.

In April, I noticed a slight weight loss of 20 grams. I didn't think too much of it. I carefully monitor Mandy's eating and weight, and I figured that with spring coming her activity level was increasing. So I increased the size and frequency of her meals to bring her back up to 550 grams. She appeared otherwise healthy with a normal activity level. We celebrated the first anniversary of her adoption on April 24 quietly, but with much love and happiness.

I'm blessed, with only three snakes, to be able to provide them all with regular veterinary care. I'm also blessed to have a snake vet I like and trust. Mandy had first been to the vet (same office but that doc has moved on) a year ago in May to check out her cataracts and general health. She was underweight at 464 grams, but other than the cataracts which just are what they are, she had a good exam and a low parasite load on her fecal. She had a rare number of a "flagellate common to corn snakes". No treatment needed.

So I made an appointment for this year's vet check on May 2. We went and had she had a good physical check up. A day before the check up her belly checkers went from black to gray and indicated she was in early shed. It did not keep the doc from examining her and he does believe that she still has sight in one eye because it reacted to his light. She's blind in the other eye. Not that it makes any difference in some ways, I'm still happy she has some sight.

Blood was drawn and of course we, or should I say she, provided a fecal sample. As an aside, this girl is so regular that I can actually time her feeding and subsequent exercise to get a fecal sample precisely when I need it. It helps to not have to make a separate vet run with it.

A week later we hadn't heard on the blood work or the fecal so the receipt says if you don't hear in a week to call. Later that day the vet called me back with the news. He started with the good news. Her blood work was all normal. The bad news is that she had coccidia and amoebas. After talking with the lab my vet was not concerned about this particular kind of amoeba. The coccidia is a different matter.

Coccidia is an oral-fecal route parasite. I was in shock because I know I keep her enclosure immaculate. She also had no diarrhea, foul smell, or bloody poop. Besides, 9 times out of 10 she poops outside of her enclosure and I clean it up immediately. I don't know if this is just one of those things or some lack on my part, though I've racked my brain to see where I may have failed her. That uncertainty shook me at the time. I've now accepted that it is as it is. We don't know when or where she got it, just that she has it. None of these things have so far shown up in my other snakes.

There was no question of getting her the recommended treatment. I didn't even ask how much it cost. The vet didn't have the medication on hand, but Mandy was deep in blue at this point so it was going to have to wait until she shed in any case. I found out on a Tuesday, she shed on Thursday, and on Friday the vet office called to say that the Ponazuril had come in. It had to be given 3 days in a row and they had to tube her to administer it orally in the office. Since they are closed on Sunday we had to wait until Monday to start.

Fortunately, the weather was perfect for it so I could just take her in her snake bag in a sweater box with air holes. (I keep my infrared temp gun handy to monitor things.) I did feel like we were living at the vet's that week, but Mandy is definitely worth the effort. I was afraid that it would cost $100s but it turned out to be less than $50 for all three treatments. She's so worth it in any case!!!! Those were three days I didn't handle her except to go to the vet. She seemed to tolerate the travel and medication very well.

Last night she had her second meal since completing the course of treatment. In a couple of days, we will be doing a follow up fecal test. She is eating and otherwise behaving normally. She is very strong and muscular, that's for sure, and I will continue to work on her weight and muscle in order to keep her in the best condition possible. She is at least 14, and maybe more, years old at this point.

I will update this thread when I have more info. I'm pretty anxious about what they next fecal may show. My only goal is to give her the best care and best life possible for however long she lives. Of course through this all, I just love her to pieces. She's awesome and still quite a looker!

(and no, she doesn't sit still for pictures!)

Old 05-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #238
DLena
She's a wonderful girl, and you are an excellent snake-mama. I'm glad she took the tubing well... with age comes patience when it comes to corns. I love her belly checkers. Classics are so lovely

Old 05-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #239
DollysMom
Thanks so much, DLena. I want to make sure she has the very best. She deserves it!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #240
Karl_Mcknight
I had a Boa years ago that needed injections for a Minor Respiratory Infection. We ended up giving her a total of 3 shots over a period of about a week.

I thought at first when the vet stuck the needle in her she'd freak out and start squirming. I envisioned the needle breaking off in her and all the "Stuff that could go wrong."

I actually held her while the Vet stuck her, and she didn't even flinch. Not so much as even move a bit. I was surprised at how well she took it.

I think they know when we are trying to help them, and and they know "Us" as well and trust us and are willing to accept the things we do to them.

I'm glad Mandy took it so well. And this could be something she had long ago and maybe you're just now finding out.

I am curious as to the "Oral Medication." Was it like a pill or a liquid? Were you in the room with Mandy as it was administered? You said they tubed her, so I'm assuming they poured a liquid down her throat through the tube?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google