CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Day 19 after shed still no eggs

Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Crazyreptilelady
Exclamation Day 19 after shed still no eggs

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and it's also my first time breeding corn snakes. My female ghost bloodred is gravid and i can clearly feel the eggs inside her. It's been 40 days since the first copulation and she shed 19 days ago. Eggs are still up inside her and haven't started pushing the cloaca. She has two egg boxes inside her tub one with vermiculite one with moss. She keeps getting in and out of them but I'm really worried because she still haven't lay anything. Unfortunately there's no vet who know about reptiles in the country I live in. What would you suggest? Should I give her some more time, should I worry?

Thank you already for everyone who would help

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
BLKfly
Is this her first clutch of this year, or is this a double clutch? I bought a female couple of months back and she decided to double clutch about a month ago. She took roughly 3 weeks or more after shed to lay her eggs. All but one were slugs, and it doesn't look good either. Could be the sperm wasn't fertile? Idk why it took so long either. I know how you feel about being worried though. Hopefully someone has more insight on this?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
Crazyreptilelady
It's her first clutch, she bred pretty late this season. They succesfully bred 3 times and i don't know if the eggs are bed or not but she's just taking way too long to lay.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyreptilelady View Post
It's her first clutch, she bred pretty late this season. They succesfully bred 3 times and i don't know if the eggs are bed or not but she's just taking way too long to lay.
Hi there Crazyreptilelady! Welcome! Sorry I missed this when you posted it, but I've been busier than a bishop at Boystown! LOL!

Strange that your snake is gravid during this part of the year, being that they normally get that way during the Spring in the western hemisphere (don't really know how that plays out in your part of the globe, but certain someone around here does and will hopefully chime in!).

However, since it IS what it IS, all you can do is provide what is necessary and Mother Nature will (hopefully) do the rest. Sometimes, even under ideal conditions, a snake will do what they're gonna do no matter what! Like lay eggs in the water dish (which is why you shouldn't leave an over-sized one in the viv right now) or anywhere else except where she SHOULD. However, that being said, as long as you provide an appropriate laybox for her, that's all you can do. Just observe her from a safe distance. My female snake drove me NUTS when she was gravid but I learned a valuable lesson in that MY anxiety was probably making everything worse. After all, they do know what to do. All we can do is provide what they need.

Were you looking to breed? Are a clutch of hatchlings something you want? Do you have a supplier for xs pinkies nearby? (If not, you might want to search ordering bulk online now, since you might have to research the HOW TO's of ordering such a thing in your locale. What's your backup plan should your sneaky one become eggbound (YIKES!) without a herp vet nearby? Just curious. Don't know if I'd wanna take that chance, but since it's already done, you may as well THINK about it, no?

In any case, please keep us updated!! Good Luck!!!!!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Crazyreptilelady
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
Hi there Crazyreptilelady! Welcome! Sorry I missed this when you posted it, but I've been busier than a bishop at Boystown! LOL!

Strange that your snake is gravid during this part of the year, being that they normally get that way during the Spring in the western hemisphere (don't really know how that plays out in your part of the globe, but certain someone around here does and will hopefully chime in!).

However, since it IS what it IS, all you can do is provide what is necessary and Mother Nature will (hopefully) do the rest. Sometimes, even under ideal conditions, a snake will do what they're gonna do no matter what! Like lay eggs in the water dish (which is why you shouldn't leave an over-sized one in the viv right now) or anywhere else except where she SHOULD. However, that being said, as long as you provide an appropriate laybox for her, that's all you can do. Just observe her from a safe distance. My female snake drove me NUTS when she was gravid but I learned a valuable lesson in that MY anxiety was probably making everything worse. After all, they do know what to do. All we can do is provide what they need.

Were you looking to breed? Are a clutch of hatchlings something you want? Do you have a supplier for xs pinkies nearby? (If not, you might want to search ordering bulk online now, since you might have to research the HOW TO's of ordering such a thing in your locale. What's your backup plan should your sneaky one become eggbound (YIKES!) without a herp vet nearby? Just curious. Don't know if I'd wanna take that chance, but since it's already done, you may as well THINK about it, no?

In any case, please keep us updated!! Good Luck!!!!!
Thank you for your answer. She still haven't lay. I have a vet who comes from Europe and has connections so I guess in case of eggbinding he can handle the surgical procedure with a little help. But he doesn't know about diseases or treatments. Eggs are still up inside and her spine doesn't show any signs of eggbinding. I have 7 corn snakes and I always have any size of food avaliable for them so I think I will be able to take care of the babies. I've been caring for corn snakes for about 4 years now. I'm just new with all these breeding stuff. I'm just giving her time right now. I hope there won't be a case of eggbinding. I'm also in contact with a few breeders one of them is Jeff from jmg reptiles. She coiled in her moss eggbox for two days now. I'm still worried but as you said they do what they gotta do. And as long as there's no eggbinding situation I'll just wait.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyreptilelady View Post
Thank you for your answer. She still haven't lay. I have a vet who comes from Europe and has connections so I guess in case of eggbinding he can handle the surgical procedure with a little help. But he doesn't know about diseases or treatments. Eggs are still up inside and her spine doesn't show any signs of eggbinding. I have 7 corn snakes and I always have any size of food avaliable for them so I think I will be able to take care of the babies. I've been caring for corn snakes for about 4 years now. I'm just new with all these breeding stuff. I'm just giving her time right now. I hope there won't be a case of eggbinding. I'm also in contact with a few breeders one of them is Jeff from jmg reptiles. She coiled in her moss eggbox for two days now. I'm still worried but as you said they do what they gotta do. And as long as there's no eggbinding situation I'll just wait.
OK, sounds like your on the case there! As long as she's in the laybox that's a good thing, actually. In any case, please keep us updated! Always nice to see pix of new hatchlings!! My Lilly double-clutched this summer, giving me over 20 little snows, most of whom are in new homes now!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
Crazyreptilelady
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
OK, sounds like your on the case there! As long as she's in the laybox that's a good thing, actually. In any case, please keep us updated! Always nice to see pix of new hatchlings!! My Lilly double-clutched this summer, giving me over 20 little snows, most of whom are in new homes now!
Of course I will! I love snows, I have a jmg line salmon snow pair. If everything goes well I'm expecting bloodred double het anery hypos from this girl though. Sire was a bloodred. Both are pieds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google