CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Clutch hatching - Some neos with problems - One in particular?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
karma279
Clutch hatching - Some neos with problems - One in particular?

So these are captive born reds... Small clutch...
The first two came out just fine... the third came out with a partial section of her lady parts on the outside and knotted (had to dispatch)... Then this one came out appearing healthy until I checked the cloaca... At first I thought it was innate defensive and he was just pushing out with all his might... until I saw the crook at the tip of the tail.
Is there any chance of saving this neo? Right now I have him in an enclosure with the first two and have been keeping a slight salve on the cloaca...
Is it the fact that the tip of the the tail did not form straight that's making what appears to be the hemipene (forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject.. this is my first clutch... When I do breed... I breed SE Pit Vipers which give live birth)

Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
karma279
I called my old mentor (hots) up in VA and he told me to put it on damp paper towels and hope that it will pull back inside... So lets hope that works... Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
axis1
Ouch! Wow, sorry dude. Have no IDEA what to do for that but hopefully someone here MIGHT know. What your "mentor" advised will hopefully work out. I hope so, anyway. Sorry for the one you had to euthanize.

Just curious, did anything in particular occur while those eggs were incubating? Just wondering what could have been the cause of birth defects in corns like that?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
I would also try the damp paper towel, but I wouldn't have high hopes. It's hard to tell but it looks like he might have a dome head as well.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
jp8899
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I would also try the damp paper towel, but I wouldn't have high hopes. It's hard to tell but it looks like he might have a dome head as well.
I agree with the dome head also. In my experience that is usually a sign of incubating on the hot side. Just curious, how many days on incubation and what temp?

Old 09-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
karma279
Again... This is the first time I've ever attempted to incubate... As my area of expertise is Southeastern Pit Vipers... and of course, their litters are "live birth"...
A little background of how I came about the eggs:
An acquaintance had recently captured a WC Red Rat and noticed it was "behaving oddly" for a Red... So I brought the snake home for a health-check and general observation... Come to find out... The said "behavior" was because she was gravid... She laid a clutch of 7 eggs that I found when I did a routine check-up on her... So I took the eggs and placed them in a vented tupperware container with a thin layer of aspen at the bottom and fine-ground coconut husk on top for moisture... I then placed the container on top of my refrigerator in the rear and covered with a dark bandanna (I would estimate the temp(s) ranged from 76'-80')... I would check on them periodically, and after maybe my second check... I found that 3 of the eggs had skunked... So I disposed of them, cleaned out the tub (careful not to "flip/rotate" the eggs much), and replaced them back on the fridge... It was roughly 65-68 days (give or take) before the first egg hatched... and it was/is as healthy as can be... Roughly 4-6 days later is when I noticed two more were hatching... So I let them make their way out (about half-way and then I assisted them)... That's when I noticed the first one that had the lower portion (mostly the reproductive area) on the outside of her body with a knot in it and had to dispatch her... Then I checked the second and noticed what you see above (the 4th and final/largest egg has yet to hatch).
Also I must mention that the aforementioned gravid female they came from later died from dystocia... She in fact had not fully formed/laid 3 more eggs at the time I found the first 7... I performed a necropsy on her, but the 3 eggs were unfortunately not viable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google