CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Post shed skittishness

Old 11-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Apollo
Post shed skittishness

I've had Diglett for about 6 weeks (he's maybe 4 months old?) and tonight he shed for the first time (he shed at the store the morning before I bought him). After I watched him shed, I opened the viv to get the shed out to inspect. Turns out he had a tiny bit of stuck shed on his tail tip. I got a warm wet paper towel to see if the tip would come off for me.

When I got him out of the viv he was freaking out, rattling his tail and lunging to get away non stop. He has NEVER acted like this before, he has been very docile and content in my hands since the day I got him (as in, he may explore my hand a bit but mostly he just sits there). After I managed to drop him due to his squirming (he only fell about 18in) I gave up on him settling down and started gently wiping the end of his tail and the shed came off in the paper towel after the 4th wipe. I looked closely to make sure it was all off and then put him back in the viv.

Are corns usually like that right after shedding? Did I handle him too soon? I did go 4 days between handling him, because I noticed he was blue 2 days ago when I went to handle him 2 days after he ate. Four days between handling isn't long enough for him to act like that is it?

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
DollysMom
Yeah he was probably a little grumpy from shedding. While you should not ignore it, stuck shed is not an immediate emergency.

Just let him calm down, rest, and try again tomorrow if it is a non feeding day. It will be fine.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Apollo
Thanks. I handled him this morning and while he was more active than normal, it was in an exploratory way and not a tail shaking, lunging toward the floor kind of way.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
DollysMom
So glad it's all okay. He sounds like a great snake!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google