CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding without brumation

Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
canicemok
Breeding without brumation

Dear all, I currently have a pair of corn snake and wanna breed them in the next spring. The female one is 410g while the male one is 180g. I want the male corn to put on some more size so I am wondering whether I should let them brumate.

Some articles suggested to introduce the male to the female after the first shed of the female in the new year. But I wanna know how corn snake knows its time to breed if they did't experience a cold temperature?

People also said that wild corn snakes in some specific regions don't brumate since the temperature in those regions is not low enough. Is that true?

Thanks!!

Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
MysticExotics
I usually start pairing in January some time.
I brumated the first year, but have not since.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
Dragonling
I'm not brumating this year because I don't have the means to do so easily, and one male I intend to try to breed is only just now hitting the 100g mark. I've been tracking my females' sheds and most are on track to shed in early to mid January. We'll start pairing for 30 mins at a time then and continue trying once or twice a week until females are receptive. Females are only at their peak fertility for about a week or so, and are the most receptive during that time, so I don't want to miss that window.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google