CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

virgin male corn don't know how to mate, help!

Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
canicemok
virgin male corn don't know how to mate, help!

Both of my male and female corn have completed their first shed after brumation. When I put my male with the female for the first time, he became excited and starting smelling around with his tongue. When he was chasing the female, I saw a drop of white fluid come out from his cloaca. He tried to pair up their tails but there was no lock up. The female is not even escaping so I think she is receptive.

I separated them and tried again two days later. However, the male seems like he is not interested at all and nothing happens after an hour. How can I help him?

Both of them are virgins. The male is 260g while the female is 510g. They are probed to confirm they are a pair.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Nanci
He's plenty big enough to mate. What I do is put the pair together every Sunday evening, for 30 minutes. If they haven't bred in 30 minutes, they probably aren't going to. If the male is still trying hard, and the female is not running away, I will allow another 30 minutes. After they breed, I then put them together every two or three days for five matings (or until they quit again- but if they skip one time, I try one more time two days later).

I prepare the mating bin by lightly misting it on the sides with warm water. It is a bare bin with no substrate, in a location in the rack where I can watch them, but they have privacy. I save the female's last shed and leave that in the bin. If there's a good rain storm during the week, I'll put the pair together even if it isn't their usual day.

Some males are faster learners than others. He should eventually figure it out. Also- I allow them the opportunity to breed even if the male is blue, but not if the female is.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Dragonling
I had two males one day apart from each other that kept trying to mate with the middle of the female's tail. I left the first pair alone and came back an hour later to find they had just separated. The latter took about 15 mins to figure out what he was doing wrong. Receptive females are remarkably patient, and if she wasn't fleeing his attempts, they'll figure it out soon enough.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
DLena
Maybe they need to see an educational video? Lol

Old 03-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
canicemok
Last week when I put them together, the male was trying hard but the female refused to let him mate. This week, I put them together for a few times but the male is not even interested anymore. Why is this happening? Is the female not producing enough pheromone or she needs another shed to be ready?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Dragonling
Give them a little more time. I've had this happen a couple times now this season as well, and usually they get down to business eventually. She could shed again soon, or maybe as you said she's not putting out as much pheromone.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicemok View Post
Last week when I put them together, the male was trying hard but the female refused to let him mate. This week, I put them together for a few times but the male is not even interested anymore. Why is this happening? Is the female not producing enough pheromone or she needs another shed to be ready?
I had similar happen with a lava female last season. She'd been out of brumation for 2 weeks when I purchased her, but she never would breed to any male I had. I've cycled her this year and will be bringing her and the same male I originally intended to pair her to out of brumation this week.

Sometimes it's just not meant to be for a season, or 2, or 3....

Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #8
Dexterune
Is he going into shed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google