CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Baby corn always hiding

Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
smale492
Baby corn always hiding

So as of late ever since this winter, my corn snake has constantly hidden. that had not been a problem with him coming out to look for food eventually. As of late he has been awol forrr a longgg time like 2 weeks of not seeing him and after feeding and then he shed. (so thats probs why.) He came out once after he shed but I had to take him out to get stuck shed off him 2 days after I found the shed. After that he has gone back into hiding and I have yet to see him. I am concerned why he is hiding so much. His temps are all correct and he has plenty of hides.

He has his favorite hide that I think he has found a hollowed out hole made into it that he hides in and always pokes his head out of but then retreats back into. I'm wondering if though there are plenty of hides that the main tank still has too much open area which makes him concerned? I am just worried about him not eating in so long and plus Im going to be going on spring break this week and want to have him fed before I go.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Reggie Wriggle
You could try adding lots of stuff into the vivarium so there is less open space

Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
snakes prefer to hide. They don't spend a lot of time out in the open. It sounds ike your snake is acting normal.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
snakes prefer to hide. They don't spend a lot of time out in the open. It sounds ike your snake is acting normal.
Yeah Just kinda concerned about the whole not out looking for food since its been so long

Old 03-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
daddio207
He doing what a corn snake would normally do this time of year in the wild.
Most in the wild wouldn't be hunting. They would be brumating.
Low humidity, cooler temps and short days trigger that effect in many captive corn snakes.
He's lucky, compared to his wild counterparts, that you deliver his meal weekly and provide a controlled environment. That doesn't override instinct a lot of times

Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
DollysMom
Lol, if snakes could talk, I think they'd say hiding is job #1.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google