CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding Method Preference

Old 08-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
xNicollex
Feeding Method Preference

There is an overload of info here and Im learning as i go. That being said, I understand the method of feeding seems to be very important and i want to make sure I'm educated enough.

I followed the guidelines for a new "hatchling" coming home (i think, she's just about 12").

Untouched in her home for 1 week. I put a warm pinkie in a deep dish to avoid touching her as well as minimize accidental aspen mixing. She ate after creeping around it, sneakily. I started handling her 4 days later for a few minutes a day.

Now that Im ready to begin a routine, my question is: Is there anything wrong with feeding in an empty dish in her tank if she takes it?

What is the preferred way to feed? Ive seen videos nudging the pinkie to get them to strike, leaving in a shoebox for awhile ....

thanks!

Old 08-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
There's nothing wrong with that and there are several different 'techniques' and they're all fine. I personally prefer to remove snakes for feeding. It allows me to look them over if I haven't already handled them that week and it allows me to clean the tank and refill water. I also don't like to risk them ingesting aspen. And even if you put the mouse on a plate, mine often move it around during the feeding process. If you feed exclusively in the tank and you don't handle often, there is a risk of aggression developing.

Once you get comfortable with your snake and your snake gets a bit bigger and more comfortable with you, you can certainly try jiggling the mouse to get a reaction. Some snakes have a strong feeding response and will coil all around the mouse, although usually they won't develop that until they're eating bigger mice than pinkies. As for leaving in a shoebox, that's really only necessary if you have a very shy eater.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
xNicollex
Thanks! Cherry doesn't seem to be a fan of reacting. Or being put in a container. I ended up putting the container in the tank on its side. Worked like a charm. She "snuck" around and ate the pinkie inside it - staying off the aspen. She's been home two weeks and I have a feeling she may still be traumatized from containers since that was how she was brought home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google