CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

How fast DO they grow?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyfeoverdeath View Post
in reference to weebonilas . if your snake isn't growing at pace that you think is healthy or natural, then i would suggest an appetite stimulant of maybe even a simple trip to the vet for a more thurough examination or even a simple diagnosis.but i would probably check the cage temp. and make sure it's at a good enough themal range for your corn to digest at a "better" pace to promote more digestion and to raise your corn's metabolism ,or to actually try and suppliment vitamins into it's diet.you can buy suppliments for reptiles that you simply put in the water and let them ingest as they unsuspectantly drink. Also,there could be a possibility of a protien, calcium,or nutrtion deficiency.protien is a general weight gaining nutrient and calcium is for bone growth and muscular developement.so i think u shuld try to get the appetite stimulant at pet smart(where they always have it by the retile medicine and suppliment section).it shouldn't cost more than $8 and i will be more than enough especially if you have any future problem feeders.if you don't believe that the appetite situation is a problem area, then i might suggest the vitamin supplimentation and if all else fails then i think the vet should have the last word.but this whole process shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks.if your corn is a year old i don't see it dying or getting worse by some small low-cost home remedies.if he was gonna make a turn for the worst he would have by now.also, what do you or him have to loose by adding some extra vitamin and minerals to his diet and boosting his ammunities for the time being.hope he does better. Please,repost if any progress is apparent.
He's definitely not a problem feeder, but I might try a supplement for him. I might try slitting it again. I haven't slit his pinkies the last few times. I can't feed him any more often as that causes a regurge or at least it has in the past.

Both parents were fairly good size. Gunn is from an unplan breeding. The guy I bought him from both the parents for breeding and didn't realize that they had been exposed to each other. They only were able to get three to thrive. The fellow lost them this summer, so it may be that something is going on, but he looks and acts very healthy. I'm not going to worry too much as long as he continues to have a healthy appetite. I think once I can get him on something other than pinkies it may help. He is growing lengthwise.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
lyfeoverdeath
wow......that's a real shame about the clutch. so that would mean....he was the only survivor to date? i dunno maybe they were just malnurished at birth but he would and should be fine now.it's been a while.hahaha.but, if he is growing lengthwise then you don't seem to have a problem.if u increase food servings with small snakes, and you are afraid of a regurge ,then increase his (for example) one pinkie a week to 1 and 1/3 or 1 1/2 pink the next week. and the same the week after that.then the 3rd week offer 2 whole ones.but by no means would i ever want you to panic.i know it's a scarey thought to offer larger portions after you experience regurgitation with your corn because we both know that it's life threatening, but only after 3 or more times or it's a chronic type of condition.i think that once you get a succesful increase in the food and he doesn't regurge , you will feel better about his growth and health. i know the only time i ever had my corn regurge was when i was in the middle of a move from house to house and i didn't have a stand or shelf for it to be on, and the cool ground in my basement chilled my corn snakes belly and it couldn't hold the food down(hence the drop in temp.)
anyways, i hope any advice i offer can help you or your snake feel a little bit better.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyfeoverdeath View Post
,then increase his (for example) one pinkie a week to 1 and 1/3 or 1 1/2 pink the next week.
I hadn't thought about partial feeds...hmmmm.... I'm not really worried about him as long as he continues to eat as well as he does, it just gets a little weird that he's as small as alot of young hatchling at almost a year old. The others are putting on weight well, so I know my set-ups aren't the problem.

I'm not sure if he's the only survivor. The shop sold the other two a month or so after I bought my guy. The owner only sold him to me because he knew I had a lot of experience with snakes and knew what I was doing. He kept the other two until they were eating consistently. Have no idea if they stayed small or even alive.

The shopowner has no idea what happened to the parents. But like many of the breeders on here, it wasn't a good year for him.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
caz223
Sometimes we think they're not growing because we see them every day.
I think they're not growing until they're a year old, then I see the hatchlings, and it never fails to amaze me how small they are.
I think we just see them every day, and they're the same size.
(They're really growing, and it's a just a matter of perspective.)

Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
Buzzard
Snakes in general in captivity general grow real fast in comparison to those in the wild. Most one year old wild snakes still look real small compared to most captive kept snakes of the same age. I would think(not a biologist) that it would have to do with the food, how often the snake eats, and what kind of enviroment( hot or cold) the snake lives in and the snakes genes. Just like humans we all dont grow at the same time, the same size, some of us are skinny and some(like myself) are fat...

Old 11-02-2008, 04:40 AM   #16
lyfeoverdeath
i agree that some may seem like they don't grow really all that much (especially snakes over 3 feet),just from frequent everyday observations and interactions.on the other hand i do feed mine (like i previously wrote) every 4-5 days as opposed to the 7 or 10 day recommendation (which would make even regular and natural growth seem undetectable) by most basic care sources.but, i am simply making it possible for my corns to reach breeding size and maturity at a slightly increased rate. so, the growth of my collection is always prevelant and obvious and never out of reason.but that's the comparison of different owners all in all.and there's nothing wrong with sharing the differences of opinion in my eyes. that's what this hobby is about.and to each his own...

Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz223 View Post
Sometimes we think they're not growing because we see them every day.
I think they're not growing until they're a year old, then I see the hatchlings, and it never fails to amaze me how small they are.
I think we just see them every day, and they're the same size.
(They're really growing, and it's a just a matter of perspective.)
I would agree with this. My '06s are growing like weeds, although I don't really notice it except when I weigh them and do a measurement on them... but the Sunglow... well, 12grams is 12grams and that's tiny. I feed every 5-7 days. I tried feeding Gunn at 4 days and that backfired...

You just go with what you get as long as you know that you are doing everything you are suppose to be doing.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
Darcpixie
Has he been checked for parasites?

SOMETHING is using the food other then him. It's a thought.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
Poshey
i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebonilass View Post
I would agree with this. My '06s are growing like weeds, although I don't really notice it except when I weigh them and do a measurement on them... but the Sunglow... well, 12grams is 12grams and that's tiny. I feed every 5-7 days. I tried feeding Gunn at 4 days and that backfired...

You just go with what you get as long as you know that you are doing everything you are suppose to be doing.
i totally agree with this what he said

Old 11-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
jpccusa
As a newbie, I weigh my little guy before every meal and I came to realize he grows an average of 2.5 grams per week.

Take in consideration that he is only 20.5 grams right now and babies may grow faster/slower than subadults or adults.

Also, I've heard that Okeetees can be bigger snakes, so he can be gaining grams faster than others. IDK.

I follow the Munson Plan and he is eating 2 pinkies every 6 days. He will probably upgrade to fuzzies in 2 weeks if he follows this pattern of growth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google