• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Honey bees

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
Our citrus trees have been blooming like crazy this year, and the honey bees (as well as butterflies, bumble bees, etc.) have been working the flowers really hard.

honey_bees_01.jpg

honey_bees_02.jpg

honey_bees_03.jpg

Of course, some might have been working harder than others, and some maybe TOO hard....

honey_bees_04.jpg

I can't wait for actual spring weather, so I can plant my beneficial bee flowers....once we stop getting snow.

Rich do you have honey bees or a hive?

This will be our third year trying to keep bees. This far north seems to be about 50/50 for colony collapse during winter. A couple local keepers are trying to breed a line of bees that are more cold hardy.

No, we aren't trying to maintain a honey bee hive. Not sure where they are coming from. But lots more this year than we had last year. The satsuma tangerines seem to have been pollinated really well, as we have lots of fruits setting. Same for the Asian pears and Connie's pumelo tree. But her Meyer lemons aren't doing as well. LOTS of flowers and just crawling with bees and butterflies, but most flowers don't seem to be setting fruit for some reason.

Attachments

• fruits_2022_01.jpg
    fruits_2022_01.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 7
  • fruits_2022_02.jpg
    fruits_2022_02.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 6
  • fruits_2022_03.jpg
    fruits_2022_03.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 6
  • fruits_2022_04.jpg
    fruits_2022_04.jpg