• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Freaking out! My first snake laid an egg- she was a virgin as far as I know!

Lyion

~♪Sorry and Thanks♪~
My snake, Xia was acting really weird. She's barely over the two year mark, but she's around 200 grams and two feet. I checked her tank and there was an egg. I never cohabbed, and only once, for about an hour, was a six month old in with her by my mistake. I don't know if she was cohabbed before. The egg is hardened and white. It looks completely fertile. My camera is broken, and I am freaking out. How soon would veins show? Is my room of 72 degrees warm enough? I don't know what to do.

An hour is certainly long enough for the deed to be done. Never heard of a six month old fathering a clutch, but I guess it's always possible. Females can lay clutches of infertile eggs even when they've never been with a male in their lives.

Get a laying box in with her asap, just in case she has more to pass. You don't need her eggbound.

If the egg is hard, then it's probably not viable. Eggs - both fertile and infertile - tend to feel slightly squishy. Fertile ones have a dry papery surface, infertile ones tend to be more waxy and smoother.

Is that the snake that was acting weird??

Well- it happens, fairly frequently. Most likely a slug, but making a lay box and incubating anything she lays, if you want to, will give you practice for when you _do_ breed.

She's still laying. It's not too hard, it's rather leathery. Either, way, I want to incubate,

Out of habit I put him in the second cage, ran around the house looking for him because I thought I lost him, and ran up stairs to find them sharing a hide :/. I'll grab pictures. I'm really freaking out for this girl... One egg looks fertile, the rest, slugs. But the thing is, I thought that the egg was initially one of her glow in the dark fake eggs, so I picked it up. I didn't know where the bubble was, so I candled it slightlly and there was an area in the corner where it looked lighter, so I put that area face up.

Rather than freaking out about the eggs being viable, really the priority is that she passes the eggs safely and recovers from being bred too young. There are people on here who learnt the hard way that early breeding can kill a female.
(You have glow in the dark fake eggs in the tank? any photos of them, they sound interesting!)

I'm almost in tears about it. Seriously, she's so tiny! I don't know what I'll do if she doesn't make it... I have to get meat on her when I can, when is the best time to offer food again? She's my first and my favorite snake, and daily life would be so different without her. Even if all those eggs pass healthily, she's got a trip to the vet. I've been counting the eggs inside her. Four or so more to go. Oh god...

IMGP1272.jpg

There's the egg. I'm glad only one looks fertile. The rest will likley be easier to lay, right?

Did you put a lay box in with her? That is the most important thing to make her feel more comfortable to lay the eggs. I wouldnt be worry about the eggs just yet.

She always has moist hide in there, damp with moss, a towel over it. She went in there to lay...

Leave her be for the rest of the night. Check on her right before bed, but let her settle out and relax, don't handle her anymore today. She will have an easier time dealing with those eggs if she can relax and focus.

Offer her a small meal once the eggs have passed.

When she's done laying, let her rest overnight, then offer a couple fuzzies or hoppers in the morning, then a weanling or small adult four or five days later. Expect her to go blue almost immediately. She may or may not refuse food while blue. After she sheds, I'd feed her a small adult mouse (or weanling, if she's dropped down below 180) every five days until she has gained back to her pre-lay weight.

Thanks so much. I checked on her again, she has one more to go. I'm so worried about her. I think she can manage to bring it out, but I really hope she's okay... Do you think she might regurge in the morning though? The worst thing is that I'm going out of town tomorrow. I'll have the brother stay though, to watch her.

You really need to not disturb her any more. It won't help her and it will increase the chances of a regurge or a retained egg. You being out of town for the day might shred your nerves, but it could do her good. I'd advise your brother not to go near her - he can't do anything either and if she doesn't "recognise" him, it might disturb her more. She honestly doesn't need watching, she just needs to have complete peace and quiet. You can check her when you get back.

I do feel for you. Having expected eggs from a mature female is bad enough. Unexpected ones are a real rollercoaster.

I have a question, how did you accidently co-hab her and with what as you only list 1 corn and 1 king in your sig. Just curious?

Thanks so much. I checked on her again, she has one more to go. I'm so worried about her. I think she can manage to bring it out, but I really hope she's okay... Do you think she might regurge in the morning though? The worst thing is that I'm going out of town tomorrow. I'll have the brother stay though, to watch her.

Yes, seriously...leave her alone.
You are hurting her more than helping her at this point.

Back