• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY Large snake hide

jet_set_willy

While searching online for a diy solution to making a hide I came across some amazing hides made from Styrofoam and tile grout.

Well as I am after a larger hide I thought I would give this ago myself today and show you my progress.

The Styrofoam bit is pretty simple even for someone like me who totally lakes any creative imagination.

OAkVMz.jpg

xRSBiy.jpg

GKZJUj.jpg

q0Cx9f.jpg

XVsiRs.jpg

23L3t9.jpg

Very nice so far.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm continually frustrated by the dearth of larger commercial attractive and well made hides.

Did you break the styrofoam by hand? Use a tool? Both?

Any tips or tricks to working with the grout?

Thanks in advance. Love it!

The Styrofoam is just what I had lying around from packaging.

I either broke pieces with my hands to roughly the shape/size I wanted or cut them first with a craft knife to slightly larger than needed and then shaped with my fingers/finger nails to rough up the edges.

The first coat of grout was mixed so it was quite runny so it would find its way into all the knooks and crannies.

It takes 24 hours to dry before subsequent coats can be applied which will be slightly thicker (Mcdonalds milkshake thickness)

4 coats are needed in total and then 2 coats of waterproof pva to seal.

I didn't have any plan before I started, just started breaking bits up and letting it develop as I went.

There are a ton of examples if you google diy rock hide.

The best example of a fake rock wall I have found is at Lizard Landscapes - http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/reptile-terrarium.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ShEOcrbi9F4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you for the video and the details. I think you've answered most of my questions and the rest I can figure out myself.

Very nice work!

Wow, the result looks like something you'd buy at any pet store. I may have to keep this in mind if I ever get into lizards.

Wow, the result looks like something you'd buy at any pet store. I may have to keep this in mind if I ever get into lizards.

I'll modify that a bit. That's better than what you'd buy in most pet stores!

(However, I did find a large hide from PetSmart that I really like and even better that Mandy likes http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/hab...-catid-500027?var_id=36-26155&_t=pfm=category )

IME most of the commercially made larger hides are poorly made with lots of rough spots and either too large, too small, or too open. I ordered and sent back 2 large ExoTerra hides I bought from Amazon due to roughness and poor quality control.

Third and fourth coats applied as it was so warm the third coat dried after just a couple of hours.

mlgds7.jpg

qGHqr9.jpg

pJGhIN.jpg

jckcAn.jpg

P9r3MV.jpg

My 2 daughters wanted to get in on the action so they both made a cave each

bDIsib.jpg

Hi! Awesome job! It looks great! I was wondering, did you mix the grout with water or did you use the polymer grout compound? The reason I ask, is that I put my first coat of grout on a back-board, and it was really funny and didn't cover very well. I went out and got some of the polymer, but haven't tried it yet. I was just wondering.
Thanks,
~Beau

Your daughters could have a sweet side-business going! Tell them their work is both useful and creative... A snake would love to hang out in them!

Hi! Awesome job! It looks great! I was wondering, did you mix the grout with water or did you use the polymer grout compound? The reason I ask, is that I put my first coat of grout on a back-board, and it was really funny and didn't cover very well. I went out and got some of the polymer, but haven't tried it yet. I was just wondering.
Thanks,
~Beau

I just used water and the first coat is quite runny and doesn't cover flat area's to well but gets in all the knooks and crannies.

The second coat is more of a Mcdondalds milkshake thickness and coats much better.

No problems with subsequent coats as they know have a base to build on.

I did think of adding pva to the mix but decided not to incase I decide to paint it.

PVA will be last to seal it all.

Back