• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Oh nooo....

Lacey is most deffinatley in blue. I can see one lump about 2 inches from her vet which I assume is an egg... should I wait this one out?

You probably should wait it out. Remember when you were praising my good fortune for my blizzard's good clutch and I told you that there were bound to be disappointments ahead? Well, I had to take my butter-stripe into the vet today to clear a nice egg-jam at her vent. And it may not be over yet. She still has eggs in her. I'm hoping the measly four decent-ish eggs she already laid will hatch.

I really have learned my lesson this time about breeding and muscle-tone. And I'm going to grow my females so slowly from now on that they won't be able to breed until they're five years old! ;)

You probably should wait it out. Remember when you were praising my good fortune for my blizzard's good clutch and I told you that there were bound to be disappointments ahead? Well, I had to take my butter-stripe into the vet today to clear a nice egg-jam at her vent. And it may not be over yet. She still has eggs in her. I'm hoping the measly four decent-ish eggs she already laid will hatch.

I really have learned my lesson this time about breeding and muscle-tone. And I'm going to grow my females so slowly from now on that they won't be able to breed until they're five years old! ;)

You could get them little snake chin-up bars...

Lacey IS a well toned snake... shes only fed one adult mouse every 10 - 14 days. Shes just a big 600 gram 3 year old... Shes not bound yet, shes just being an akward bitch.

Lacey IS a well toned snake... shes only fed one adult mouse every 10 - 14 days. Shes just a big 600 gram 3 year old... Shes not bound yet, shes just being an akward bitch.

I didn't mean to imply that Lacey wasn't well-toned. I thought my butter-stripe was well-toned too, but maybe I'm not as good a judge of that as I thought...

I know, I was just thinking outloud... trying to come to some sort of conclusion as to why murphy decided to take a royal dump on me this year :(

I know, I was just thinking outloud... trying to come to some sort of conclusion as to why murphy decided to take a royal dump on me this year :(

Murphy's a weird dude. In the old days, I hatched out many, many normals from accidental cohab breedings. I never weighed females, I never brumated, I never provided layboxes-- I never EXPECTED or PLANNED anything. I successfully hatched a clutch that was laid IN a water dish! My incubation methods were HORRIBLE. Still, I had ok hatch rates (and never a kinked hatchling), and I never had an egg-bound female, even among the too-small females that were impregnated because they were housed with males (although I almost lost a tiny female because it took everything out of her). Fortune may favor the prepared under most circumstances, but Murphy is a more fickle master... :angry01:

I didn't mean to imply that Lacey wasn't well-toned. I thought my butter-stripe was well-toned too, but maybe I'm not as good a judge of that as I thought...

Roy:

Do you think the cutting of mice allowed them to store more fat from a meal (meaning digestion was easier) resulting in extra fat stores internally where they shouldn't be? If so, you are looking at a major possible cause of dystocia right there. "IF" is the key word, of course!

Were you cutting mice back then when the females did fine even when your set-up was horrible???

Last edited:
I never cut mouse backs... I don't feel the need for it and you could absolutly be onto something. Then again, I don't think adults should be fed anymore than every 10-14 days regardless of sex. I like to feed all my snakes sporadically and randomly to keep them as lean as possible. Plus I get to see them out roaming far more often :)

If Lacey's out of her laybox, have you tried swimming her in a bath? Could help move those eggs down due to the undulating movements.

Shes not budged from her laybox in over a week now. I have been lifting her out every 3 days or so to stick her head in her waterbowl and gentle feel for any leftover eggs. Today is water day so I could give her a wee bath too :)

Roy:

Do you think the cutting of mice allowed them to store more fat from a meal (meaning digestion was easier) resulting in extra fat stores internally where they shouldn't be? If so, you are looking at a major possible cause of dystocia right there. "IF" is the key word, of course!
I DO believe that this is the case. I've heard people talking about seemingly well-toned snakes that still had hidden fat deposits on the INSIDE. My snakes have all been fed fairly conservatively (some VERY conservatively) after they're on weaneds. But the growth rates were still surprisingly high. Fortunately, my '06s and '07s have been fed more conservatively than my '05s.

I think I'm going to be stopping all slitting. I already have for any snake that's on hoppers and up. I'd considered keeping it up for young snakes, particularly when their prey-size is being bumped, but I think I'm going to be stopping that too.

Were you cutting mice back then when the females did fine even when your set-up was horrible???
Nope. I was feeding mostly live back then. But when I did feed f/t then, I didn't slit them.

But since Elle doesn't slit/cut anyway, I guess this isn't the right thread to discuss this further...

Oh not at all, it's a great topic and I had never even thought about it until now. Feel free to discuss anything breeding related.. afterall it is relevant.

Whilst "watering" Lacey today, I managed to have a good feel of her tummy. Unfortunatley theres a big ole egg/slug rather high up and down from that theres some smaller wee bumps. Bad news I assume?

I have been following along with your troubles and I am rooting that everything turns out okay. You are scheduled to go to the vet today, correct? I'll pray everything works out, keep us posted!!

No baths, no vets, Lacey deeper in blue. Shes got one big lump in her, and a couple of smaller ones and they have moved further down which is a good sign. The vet is on "standby" incase she does get bound but apart from that all I can do is wait. Shes drinking a lot, and out of her laybox. Shes restless and active again so I just hope she sheds soon. Im going to offer her a fuzzy in the next few days.

Well the mahoosive slug has moved right down to about an inch above her vent. I am pleased with this and its small enough that I know she will pass it on her own. I think thats the only remaining one. 9 slugs :(

Perhaps she will double clutch and produce a lovely pile of white eggs... perhaps not. Either way shes still my girl and Im glad shes ok for now. Im not so stressed out about it anymore.

Back