• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Field Herping in Coastal, NC

Quetzalcoatl

Hello! This is my first post on the forum. I just moved to southeast North Carolina from Ohio a week ago and I've been herping with my fiancee every chance we get. Here is some of what we found, this place has so many more herps than Ohio had, I can't wait to explore some more.

Some Green Anoles, common I know, but still pretty.
8871522161_32a1f7c3fd_z.jpg

8872132794_a35c34a9a5_z.jpg

This one had some interesting blue coloring, and white dots.
8871521285_7ccc6414b2.jpg

A rough green snake (lifer)
8871520317_f82c0e5083.jpg

Yellow Rat Snake, this one had the greenish hue, which I've heard is somewhat specific to coastal NC
8872128696_3263fced9a.jpg

Saw this copperhead on the road, by the time I got to it, it was already slithering way, so I only got a blurry shot. Again, another lifer.
8872707746_792c0f943d.jpg

Mud turtle
8872095669_f194d02bc8.jpg

A pair of yellow rat snakes breeding in the rafters of a park ranger office.
8872706052_05e91c89fd.jpg

A venus fly trap, not a herp but interesting none the less.
8872770548_e8e7e1b55c.jpg

Nice photos. We have pitcher plants here in Wisconsin. They are neat, but not nearly as cool as the flytraps.

Very nice! And kinda cool that you caught that pair of breeding yellow rats snakes. The white patches of the anole appear to be an impending shed.

First off great pictures, second welcome to North Carolina there are loads of places to go for a hobby herper, and by the looks you have found a pretty good one. Looking forward to more pictures. Stay cool and happy herping.

Make it a point to check out Green Swamp. It's a short drive south in Brunswick County. Very good place to do some field herping and see many other types of wildlife. Definitely worth the drive. It is a nature preserve with public access. Welcome to our part of the world!

Back