CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Alien beetles attacking the house!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Tavia
Alien beetles attacking the house!

Our window just got bombarded with the creepiest beetle I've ever seen around here! Have never before seen one like it, they were about the size of a golf ball.

And my favorite shot of the killer hybrid beetle/moth!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Shiari
That is a type of scarab beetle! I think it's the Ten-Lined June beetle (also known as Watermelon Beetle).

Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
hypnoctopus
Whoa, awesome!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Nanci
Cool !!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
tspuckler
Yeah, that's a ten-lined June beetle - completely harmless.
Here's one that I found in the desert:

During warm Summer nights they are attracted to light and make a lot of noise on window screens, trying to get in the house. Around here (Ohio) our June beetles are a "boring" brown, rather than being patterned like yours. Here's one that I found in the Metroparks a few weeks ago:

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
hikisquid
Woah, that is seriously cool!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Nanci
We have little mini- June bugs here. I don't know what they really are, but they are like light brown June bugs, only about 1/4" long.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Tavia
We every now and then get the brown "June bugs" like the one in that picture but they aren't hairy and don't have the weird feelers.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
ratsnakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
We have little mini- June bugs here. I don't know what they really are, but they are like light brown June bugs, only about 1/4" long.
those would be may beetles. you might find them in may. i dont know.......

Old 07-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
TaylorHawkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspuckler View Post
Yeah, that's a ten-lined June beetle - completely harmless.
Here's one that I found in the desert:

During warm Summer nights they are attracted to light and make a lot of noise on window screens, trying to get in the house. Around here (Ohio) our June beetles are a "boring" brown, rather than being patterned like yours. Here's one that I found in the Metroparks a few weeks ago:
Oh man I just hate these.. They make my life hell in summers.. But thanks for pics

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google