CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Welp....

Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Mari
Welp....

I had no issues with my local petstore, until now..

I was buying frozen pinkies, and then asked for frozen fuzzies. They said they had none (huh?) and then said they'd freeze some for me - I asked for 5, because Rigby was just a week or two away from being able to eat one.

So they freeze them for me, I buy them, all is well...

4 feedings later, I go in to get more (before I ran out) and ask for them to freeze 20 for me. They said "their boss doesn't like when they do that". I... what? My money's green, people. Their fuzzies are over $1 each, so it's not like I can't go elsewhere, I just like supporting local businesses. SIGH.

Soo, where should I go to order feeder? I've heard good things about Big Cheese, Mice Direct... How do they usually come? In a bag or individual? And I think I'm in for the long haul on fuzzies (Rigby is 32 grams) so I might as well order 50-100 of them.

Any input is appreciated!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Justine66
hmm.. tha just seems strange? how are you supposed to feed your snake?
there losing out on business.

but I definitely wouldn't order that many fuzzys, they usually go through the fuzzy stage quite fast so I would say 50 I'd more then enough.

and although I haven't dealt with mice direct or big cheese most suppliers ship them in bags, air sealed.

hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
ructo
Ructo took 5 fuzzies to get from 27g to 42g, just as a reference, so 50 is way to many. I would just try another pet store.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Nanci
They go through the fuzzy and hopper stage fast. You _might_ buy the smallest amount of weanlings from Big Cheese, then weigh them out, and you'll probably end up with some fuzzies, a lot of hoppers, and some weanlings. According to Munson Chart standards.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Zombiegirl
Lane Labs sells in quantities less than 50, but being in FL it's probably not worth it once you factor in shipping

Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Nanci
Big Cheese has cheap shipping because they do ground, which I was VERY dubious of, but they pack so cold that going from TX to FL in the heat of summer, then having my box sit in the sun till 5PM did not cause any problems at all.

There are also at least four commercial rodent suppliers in FL, that you could drive to. They are not competitive in price, though. Rodents on the Road- nice people, nice clean mice. They are in Hawthorne. South Florida Rodents (might have changed their name) okay mice. Loxahatchee Rodents- I don't know them, read BOI, maybe worth a try...And there's a guy up by St. Augustine- can't think of the name, but that's pretty far for a drive. And he's more expensive.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Mari
I have no idea why the pet store by me is being so weird.. I waited it out to see if they might budge and just freeze some for me, but no dice (even though they have in the past...) I mean, it's simple economics, right? What was weird was one of the employees seemed confused, they were like, "well, we have pinkies frozen" ... It's so strange, the employees there are like a mixed bag. One of them was like, "it's great you feed frozen, it's so good for them, I had a snake who lost an eye to a mouse" - another says, "Why not feed pinkies?" .........

And as far as it being too much, I plan on adding a second snake & a friend of mine is also buying a snake in 2 weeks so we were going to split some shipping on that. I forgot to mention that along with lil' Rigby being ready for fuzzy mania. He's already had 5 and he'll probably need at least another 5-10 more. That and I hope to get a 30g-50g corn at Repticon, and my friend is planning on a similar size. And I can always resell them - I just hate paying that shipping to only get 25 feeder... D: Seems like a waste.

Thank you Nanci I don't think I could make that drive, but it's good to know about if I'm ever traveling. I think I'm going to order from Mice Direct so I can get some smaller quantities.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
MysticExotics
When you say they offered to freeze the fuzzies for you the first time, is that how they euthanized them? (By freezing them?)
If so, I can see why the mgr is opting not to do that. Pinkies are the only ones it is humane to euthanize by freezing, because they have no fur and die very quickly. Anything with fur takes to long to die by freezing.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Mari
I don't think so, but I guess I can't be sure? Last time they said they'd freeze them and told me to come back in 24 hours so they would be fully frozen, but I believe they do C02 and have a deepfreezer? I'd have to ask. But if they were just freezing them, then that's a pretty good reason. I don't understand why they wouldn't just have stock of frozen feeder, though... /shrug

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google