CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Temperature for keeping frozen mice?

Old 02-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
CornFlakes:D
Question Temperature for keeping frozen mice?

So I am trying to get a cheap fridge for frozen mice, and I found a very cheap one that fits my likings. But some reviews say it cools only slightly, to about ~54F, so I wanted to know the range for temperatures to keeping frozen mice. Thank you.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
MysticExotics
Does the fridge have a freezer in it as well? Those temps are not going to work for keeping rodents frozen.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Does the fridge have a freezer in it as well? Those temps are not going to work for keeping rodents frozen.
Oh my bad, it's not a fridge I ment to say freezer. Yes, the freezer is the one with ~54F. And would you happen to know what temperature would be good to keep them frozen?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFlakes:D View Post
Oh my bad, it's not a fridge I ment to say freezer. Yes, the freezer is the one with ~54F. And would you happen to know what temperature would be good to keep them frozen?
Is that supposed to mean negative 54 degrees?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Quote:
Is that supposed to mean negative 54 degrees?
~ means about

Old 02-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
MysticExotics
54F is not cold enough. Frozen foods should be at 0 degrees or colder, ideally -10 to -20.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Quote:
54F is not cold enough. Frozen foods should be at 0 degrees or colder, ideally -10 to -20.
Thank you, I'll keep looking

Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
kc261
There must be some confusion here. Freezing is 32F, so there is no way a freezer is 54F, or even anywhere close. 54F is too warm for a fridge to keep foods safely.

As MysticExotics said, you want the temps to be well below freezing to keep frozen foods (including snake food) properly.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Kat_Dog
40-140F is optimal bacteria growth temps according to the FDA. Your frozen mice are likely to rot VERY quickly at that temp.

Most refrigerators are kept at 34-36F and freezers need to be below 32F.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Chip
Yeah, 54 is warmer than I even like to brumate snakes. That's almost T shirt weather!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google