CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

My Snake Has Gone Missing

Old 07-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
WitchHunt
My Snake Has Gone Missing

Hello everyone. It's unfortunate that this is the circumstances that we're meeting in. I've left my snakes with a friend for a few weeks while I visit family out of state and she texted me a few days ago that one of them went rogue. She opened the enclosure to check on him, then left for maybe a minute just to get his chick and by the time he came back he was gone. Most of the tricks haven't worked simply because of his size (like the plastic bag trick) or because she has carpet (the flour trick). Granted he isn't a corn snake, but he is a North American rat snake so he's very closely related to corns. He also has one of the strongest feeding responses among any of my snakes. He once had an RI, was getting injections, was in shed, and was new to his enclosure and still didn't miss a meal (granted I shouldn't have been feeding him during that time but the vet recommended I did). I thought the best way to get him back was to lay out the 2 liter traps with prey, especially considering it was feeding day for him when he escaped, but so far there hasn't been any interest in them. Now my friend says all the windows and doors were shut and there's no holes in the walls for him to escape through, but she owns a fairly small home with cats nonetheless and there hasn't been any sign of him period. He usually defecates every day or two and she hasn't seen any sign of that either. It's been 3 days, so if anyone has any advice or personally learned tricks to get him back I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
WitchHunt
Forgot to add one more thing: he's an adult, not a baby. I know that helps the odds but so far it hasn't showed.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Patmart
Hi I really hope he turns up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
brian60
Definitely my biggest fear...and I'm almost considering cutting back considerably on the amount of substrate in my corn's tank just to make him more easily found because he hides between the surface and the bottom and is totally gone...and I get super paranoid he escaped or something.

I also have a thermo on the surface of the substrate under his warm hide kept between 81 and 85 degrees...and he commonly burrows and lays on the glass surface immediately beside the heating pad...which freaks me out he may burn himself. So that's just another reason to lower his substrate some.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
WitchHunt
My snake doesn't really burrow much, thankfully. I also use overhead heating for all of my snakes... I've just had terrible luck with a CHE. Unfortunately he hasn't shown back up yet but I'm confident he will eventually... Sorta.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
brian60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchHunt View Post
My snake doesn't really burrow much, thankfully. I also use overhead heating for all of my snakes... I've just had terrible luck with a CHE. Unfortunately he hasn't shown back up yet but I'm confident he will eventually... Sorta.
With my little guy, Timothy, I get so worried because he's still a baby...and being a little 5.5 month old corn his head is so small that if he did escape he would be gone. He could easily fit in a vent or something. I kinda can't wait for him to grow some and be easier to manage in terms of that fear of mine. At the same time though he is absolutely cute as hell being a baby so I want him to stay small at the same time

Really hope your little guy shows up safe!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google