CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Behavior?

Old 04-29-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
pumkinhead
Unhappy Behavior?

We have a baby candy cane corn and it keeps opening its mouth and like clicking its jaws. Is that normal behavior,or he getting ready to shed or what ? Can someone tell us please. He eats 2 pinkys every week and seems very healthy. What do I do? Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2002, 04:21 PM   #2
Iris
Well mine occasionally opens his mouth in a "yawn" usually after swallowing a pinkie, but I've never heard a clicking noise or anything and very rarely opens his mouth at other times.

Sounds like (POSSIBLY, but I'm NOT an expert!) a respiratory infection...but I'm sure someone with more experience with RI's can help you out.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
vbgrafx
Lightbulb popping sound

i'm no expert either, and this example may prove so, but when i first started collecting snakes i started off with a baby ball python. the retarded pet store lady told me that he would look beautiful on white sand. well, within two weeks i was hearing a popping sound coming from its mouth. when i started seeing white bubbles around his mouth i took him to the vet. the vet gave him some medicine and told me to get a new substrate. i did, and he got better. so, it's possible that what iris said may be true. may be a respiratory infection. couldn't hurt to check that out.

Old 05-01-2002, 08:01 PM   #4
jjunner
If he is opening his jaws like that after feeding then it is quite possible he is just re-aligning his jaws after separating them to eat.

May not be the best answer, but its a thought.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:07 PM   #5
tigerlou
Smile Don't worry

Hi there, don't worry about the clicking sound, it normal the snkake is trying to put its jaw back into place... Tigerlou

Old 05-03-2002, 12:01 AM   #6
Jr Nimeskern
HMMM some people think that it might be a normal thing for the popping sound... but none of my corns make a popping sound when they open their mouths... I would guess that it might be RI just to be safe I would bring it to the vet. like grafx said that it could be the substrate... I would recommend aspen...

My 2 cents worth

Old 05-03-2002, 04:20 PM   #7
lynn
can't say I've noticed mine making a popping sound when they are putting their jaw's right, might be worthwhile getting it checked by a vet.

Old 05-03-2002, 06:12 PM   #8
pumkinhead
Talking thanks

thanks for all the info and help.I found out that he was getting ready for sheddind now he's had a pinky and doing FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google