• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pinkie shortage

HeavenHell

Okeetee Freak
I notice many of the large mice producers are out of pinkies: RodentPro (no pinkies of any size), MiceDirect (no small), ARS (no pinkies of any size).

Being it's hatchling season, it's a bad time for a shortage don't ya think?

Rodent Pro has been having a tough time for several weeks keeping adult mice in stock -but to be fair, so has everybody. I've had good luck getting pinks at the usual sources (until now), but I've had to order rat pups a couple of times just to have food!

We get ours from local breeders. We have had luck getting day old pinks for the babies and we have a lot of f/t pinkies of all sizes. We pay a bit more for them than if we order in bulk but for now it is working for us.

We plan on putting a big order probably in the middle of Sept.

I spoke to Gourmet Rodents and Mice Direct at Daytona and both said large orders of pinks would not be a problem.

its driving me insane, no where near my has had any pinkies... i broke down and bought some from the pet store for 98cents a piece.. RAPE.
my mice arent producing for some reason and ive had to cut things into little mouse pieces for my hatchlings..and now i hear that places are running low on adult mice. i might just switch my adults to rats. GRRRRRR.
trying laynelabs!

Layne is 14 days out from shipping but pinks are in stock at 2 of the first 3 places I checked: https://micedirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21&zenid=76718ccc6ebbf814ec05b12f8157ce54
http://www.bigcheeserodents.com/Pricing.html

And 98 cents from a store isn't rape. Heck for a 10 lot, they are 50 cents before shipping from Layne. I don't know how many the store might order, but they have to pay for freezer space, electric, waste (freezerburns, etc.), besides the shipping, etc. you are familiar with. It's twice what my store charges, but if I didn't use so many, no WAY I could sell them for 50 cents. When you pay thousands a month in rent for a store front, it has to be spread into everything you sell. Plus employees, your own wages, utilities, credit card processing fees, shrinkage/shoplifting, etc. that goes into the price of everything. Outside of my shop, $1.99 per pink is the next cheapest store price around here. If you can buy only as many as you need for under a dollar from a retail store, you are most certainly NOT being gouged, let alone "raped."

Not to mention I asked the store manager where they order. He had no idea. They only had 12 pinks that they had just got in too. It was a pet supplies plus. Only pet store in my area and I quiver at the site of it.

I am used to 20 cents a piece. Hence why I consider 98 rape.

They cost you more than that, though. To get that pricing, you have to buy 250 from Layne (the cheapest I could find), and that's before shipping. Once shipping is added, that 45.92 more than doubles to $95.92 to my zip code. You're sticker shocked, because you are used to seeing prices before shipping. Thing is, that store pays shipping. And someone to place that order, stock those mice, sort and price them, etc.

Sure, if you are able to pick up or buy in huge quantities, you can save quite a bit of money. But I'll state again that for single pricing, below a dollar retail for a pink anywhere is far, faaaar from rape.

Not to mention that pinks have increased in price from .15 to .25 since the spring of this year. Adults are also up $10 for a bag of fifty. Mice Direct is normally my source. Checked Rodent Pro. Same prices. Don't understand the drastic increase.

I am not surprised with the price increase or shortage at all. With Rodent Pro having to cull off all of their stock back in spring I can only imagine that they are out sourcing some of their orders and with the increase demand to all of the other rodent suppliers the price is going to go up. I would imagine once Rodent Pro (and the others) recover from the issue that they had, prices will level out and hopefully come down.

We can only hope, right?

or they'll see that people are willing to pay that much for their product and it will stay the same. seems to be the way most things work.

Yep. Once the price goes up it tends to stay that way with the exception of occasional sales when surplus occurs. A 66% price increase in less than six months is alarming. It is on all sizes as well.

This is a bad news for us good thing there are alternatives. The current corn shortage has forced cash strapped farmers to get imaginative. Candy is progressively becoming a supplement to the diet of cows.

its driving me insane, no where near my has had any pinkies... i broke down and bought some from the pet store for 98cents a piece.. RAPE.

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to speak up about this. May I suggest you don't use the word "rape" to complain about paying a buck for a mouse? The word has a very deep, disturbing connotation for some, and I would pay $20/mouse not to have to think about rape the way I do.

The only way "rape" is not used as a forced sexual act (in the dictionary) is to "to plunder (a place); despoil." If you are not forced to pay that price, you were not raped.

Thanks for listening, all I ask is to choose your words carefully in mixed company. You never know whose world you are hurting.

Back