CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Yearling Corn, adult mice to small?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Justine66
Yearling Corn, adult mice to small?

hey all,

So I have Sirius on adult mice every 7 days getting ready to move him to every 10 days..
he weighs in at around 250g last time I weighed him and he just shed yesterday so I know he's still growing! he looks healthy, and is very active at night and when I take him out I just don't know if I'm feeding him enough or not?

but the adult mice I have weigh anywhere from 19g to 25g. but they leave NO lump.. and the whole 1.5 times his widest part is out the window, he's just as thick if not a bit thinker then some of the feeders.

now I know he's a year old, but it this normal? I have looked for large mice but I can't find any.. and I don't want to go rat pups untill he's atleast 2 years old? and I also worry about him getting addicted to rats..

soo any suggestions? his hatchdate was Aug, 6th, 2012.. so is he just a bit over a year, but I didn't think he was going to be this big/long!
lol he's making me proud!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Chip
Adult mice shouldn't be too small for any corn! I feed my monsters in the 7-800 gram range an adult mouse weekly or every 10 days. They don't leave a lump nor are 1.5 X body width once the snake is grown.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Justine66
ahhhh!

that's what I was thinking, "maybe he's just done growing, we'll atleats in the food bumping part of his life" lol thanks Chip!

ill stick to one adult mouse every 7-10 days, unless I see him start to get chunky,

Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
TyeW
It sounds like he could be overweight. I feed all my adults X-large mice every 10 days as well and they are within 400-900g. Once my snakes hit the yearling mark, I switch their feeding to every 10 days instead of 7. 250g seems like quite a bit for a yearling. You sure it's not 2 years old or something?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Chip
250 IS big, but it's 16 months, which is a lot of time. Many of my snakes that age are in that size range. They really explode once they move from fuzzy to hopper.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Justine66
he doesn't look or seem over weight to me.. lol he is quite long, but yes he's 16 months and about as thick as a inch and a half wide at his thickest part and his head is a bit smaller than my thumb. lol I know not the best way to discribe him but he has no sign of hips, and he has that bread loaf shape to him that a healthy corn should have..

I think he may just end up being one large corn.. or his growth could slow down soon like I have heard other's have..

thanks for the concern but I don't think he's overweight, lol just long.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
HVani
Wow

I must be doing something wrong. My yearling (also born in august) is only 73g.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Justine66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVani View Post
Wow

I must be doing something wrong. My yearling (also born in august) is only 73g.
Holy.. you guys are making me feel like I'm raising a monster! ..a cuddly one, but still!

in all honesty though I got him at 4 months old from my local reptile petshop and he was already much longer than the other hatchlings they had but still tiny, he weighed 14 grams when I brought him home on Nov, 10th, 2012. (ill never forget that day! ) and he's just grown like a weed with me! I fed him every 5 days on pinkys, 6 days for fuzzys and double pinks and 7 on hoppers and adult mice now.
lol but he's getting bumped back to every 10 days now. lol

he's my very first snake, and he's what got my hooked lol he's my pride and joy, lol so I know he's healthy, maybe his parents were just large? lol

Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Justine66
** I just changed my avatar, to a photo of him from yesterday freshly shed!**

lol I was due for a change anyways..

Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
WingedSweetheart
My first corn snake grew very fast. Like yours she wasn't two years old yet and on regular sized adult mice. At her growth rate I thought she was going to be huge! But it did slow down a lot. She is now 4 years old, around 540g and 4.5ft long. So she is pretty much average sized.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google