CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

13 bucks for 6 pinkies?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
JessKeen
I've already convinced my husband that when my little Aztec (no name yet) outgrows her ten, it would be a perfect time to find ourselves a little bloodred! How long can mice be in the freezer before the snake won't eat them? I'm also a little concerned about how they all seem to be packaged in one big bag when you order them, do you separate them out yourself so that you aren't opening the bag all the time?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Nanci
This vacuum sealing system is cheap and works well. I put the sealed bag inside one of those lockable plastic storage containers, in the freezer. I love the brand Kinetic Go Green. They keep at least six months as long as you are careful about keeping them vacuum sealed.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
JessKeen
I found a guy who breeds feeders about 40 minutes away! 50 cents for a pinky, 75 for a fuzzy!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...0mice&ad_cid=3

Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
JessKeen
Okay so I am planning to get about 30 pinkies and possibly some fuzzies from this guy in about two weeks. He said that he usually sells live but can easily freeze them for me before selling, he doesn't vacuum pack them though he just puts them in a ziplock bag and squeezes the air out. So when I get the mice, how do I store them? Should I separate them into different bags and them put those in containers and freeze them? If I were to split the bags up maybe five mice to a bag so I don't have to open the bags as often, and then squeezed out the air and kept all the bags in an air tight container would that be adequate? This supply would last me for many months so I want to make sure I don't ruin the mice!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
kc261
If you want them to last a long time, your best bet is to use one of those vacuum sealer machines. Make several small packages, so you'll only have maybe 1-2 months worth "open" at a time. In between feedings, seal it up as best you can with the ziplock/squeeze the air out method. As long as you have a good freezer, they'll last a very long time in a vacuum sealed bag.

It doesn't matter a whole lot if this guy gives you live or frozen when you are getting pinks & fuzzies, as freezing is considered the most humane way to kill them when they are that young anyway, so you could just take live ones home and put them in your freezer. CO2 is used for older ones, but the babies are resistant to CO2 (presumably to keep them from suffocating under their mother).

Another place to look to find feeders is craigslist. Sometime within the past year or 2, at least in this area, I've started seeing a reasonable number of ads for feeders on there.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
Alicia P
I second Nanci's suggestion of the ziplock vacuum sealer system http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages...zerSystem.aspx It's easy to use and most grocery stores (& Amazon) sell the pump and bags. Although the bags can be reused many times as long as they don't get any little tears in them. Just keep the used ones in the freezer so any microscopic mouse bits don't get funky.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
JessKeen
Thanks for the advice guys

Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
knox
I just ordered from Mice Direct - they have / had $25 shipping.

I found that even paying for shipping from the online big name rodent breeders, my per mouse price is VERY agreeable.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
JessKeen
Just got Veras mice! They look so much better than the petsmart mice, they are bright pink and chubby looking. And he gave me a variety of sizes of pinkies, at my request. I'm so excited to have a source for them that is cheaper and healthier.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Shaggy
I am finding the same thing - that to order and pay shipping is better than gas money, pet-shop mice, and/or reptile show vendors (with gas, admission, travel time, etc...).
The price is so good that I over bought pinkies and fuzzies, and will do the same for hoppers and adult mice now. Buy big and save. Not to waste the animals - the old pinkies and fuzzies are going to be bait for fishing this spring.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google