• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Aspen as a substrate = dangerous??

Joejr14 said:
Few points....

Most big breeders do not use aspen. I know that Rich uses newspaper.

When snakes take a crap, they lift their tail off the ground---bring their cloaca with them. It's closed before they come back into contact with the ground. They don't open it up and crawl along the ground with it wide open.

And finally, what is this website? I obviously need to pay them a visit.

Joe, thanks for all that information! All I have been seeking if more info to add to the "trap" *points to big lump between the ears* and I've only been getting excuses!

I figured larger breeders probably don't use a lot of aspen seeing as how expensive it would be to have individual feeding boxed for, oh, a hundred or so breeders?? :eek1: That's expensive, and takes up a lot of space.

I still assume that between all of us here that use or HAVE used aspen with our snakes, not a one of us reading this thread has direct or indirect knowlege of aspen chips being sucked into the anus of a snake and causing issues. Am I right?? :shrugs:

Here's an interesting quandry...

You shouldn't feed a snake on aspen bedding, because if they swallow a piece of aspen, they will be unable to pass it, causing an impaction and resulting in injury or death to the snake. So, if a piece of aspen can't be passed from the inside out, how the heck can it be sucked from the outside in??

This whole thing has me confused ;)...

I've personally seen a small piece of aspen caught between two belly scutes on my Boa, but it slid right out when he was crawling. Never seen anything enter the cloaca though.

It was crazy talk! I don't understand how it could even happen with a corn. Maybe with a ball, i don't know. But they are just making generalizations about using aspen with ANY snakes when only ball pythons and burms where having problems.

---Kenny

Back