CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

OMG what are those popping up?!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
SnakeAround
OMG what are those popping up?!

Mini scale corns?!

First

Second

So far two of these hatched, two normal looking sibs were DIE, one normal sib hatched and two others are hatching (body not yet visible).

When the first hatched I thought; that one looks so special, gorgeous! It vaguely reminded me of some corns I had seen before, but I did not take further notice and put it in a tub.

Then the second hatched, with about the same pattern, and I took a closer look... wow, they reminded me of the scaleless corns of course!!! Then I found pictures of those on the net and saw that they actually don't have any scales, mine do have miniature scales, showing of exactly the pattern on the skin but still protected by scales

I know, I'm way ahead in thinking what they are, or better might be, they need to be test breeded but hey, you can't blame me for being excited with these finds, right?

These are the parents (miami phase male and his daughter):

male

female (his daughter, way bigger now)

Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
ceduke
Wow, that's neat! I can't wait to see how they grow up!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Nanci
Cool! Can you take a picture of one next to its normal sibling?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
SnakeAround
I'll make comparison pics after they shed, they came fresh from the egg today! The normal sib has the more normal irregular side blotches and no missing scales on the head or anything else weird.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
PJ@PJCReptiles
Definately different...

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
TandJ
Looks like the saddle numbers seem to be quite a lot..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 06-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
desertanimal
Is it missing scales on the head?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
SnakeAround
Yep, one is missing scales definately... I was thinkign they might be het for scaleless and homo might be really scaleless then, but I did not get any really scaleless ones. Further I think that the scaleless corns are recessive and not dominant with a super form.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Cornparadise
Scaleless are actually hybrids
I don't think this might be a morph or anything, I think this is either a product of inbred or something went wrong during early development.
But just in case you definitely need to keep them they're really something different. One tip, keep the one without the scales on his head a bit more damp then the others. Because he has no scales he looses moisture quicker.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
SnakeAround
I know they are said to be hybrids with emoryi blood. The parents of these weird hatchlings don't look like hybrids though.

Well, this was the only the first generation of inbreeding I think, because the father is a very large miami phase sold by a reptile store as a baby to a person who kept only him. Of course he might be from inbred lines but I think if he would really be like F6 or so, he would not be that large. Further, the mother of the daughter was quite a large light orange normal from another hobbyist just breeding some clutches with two snakes. This is the mother of the daughter involved, e.g. the grandma of the weirdo's:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google