CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Newbie Question on Feeding

Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
wildfire
Newbie Question on Feeding

We fed our little guy today for the first time since getting him. When we got him, the breeder walked us over to the frozen mice dealer at the expo, looked at the sizes, and told us specifically which ones to get (peach fuzz - small fuzzies). I don't have a weight on the snake, but he is 8 1/2 months and about 22 inches long. I put one thawed fuzzy on a lid and put it in the tank.

He poked his head out of his warm hide and was scenting the mouse. He came out almost up to it, then struck and pulled it back into his hide. REALLY fast. After he ate it, he went back to the lid and scented around for a bit, then went and looked for more in his cage. He has been in and out of his hide since then.

My question is....I don't see a visible lump. I see MAYBE where a lump might be in the right light, but nothing obvious. I also would've thought he'd be holed up digesting, it's been about 1 1/2 hours since he ate. Does this mean he should probably be getting two? It also seems like I shouldn't do in tank feeding anymore because he's not actually eating on the lid and I don't want him to swallow substrate. How big of a container do I need for a feeding container? How long should I wait after he eats to pick him up and transfer back to his tank?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
MakersMarked
I'd suggest getting a small scale (postal or food) that measures in grams. Search this site for the Munson Plan, which is a great guide for choosing which size of mouse to feed your snake and how often.

Also, feeding in viv can make your snake associate "hand in tank" and "FOOD!!!" This may lead to him biting you when you stick your hand in for maintenance or water-bowl-refilling. So I'd recommend feeding in a separate container. It doesn't have to be fancy since he won't be in there for very long. I use a large Tupperware. I leave mine in there just long enough to clean her tank and refill her water, so I'd say maybe 10-15 minutes. Longer if I'm watching a game while I'm cleaning. :P

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakersMarked View Post
I'd suggest getting a small scale (postal or food) that measures in grams. Search this site for the Munson Plan, which is a great guide for choosing which size of mouse to feed your snake and how often.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. Here are two links for you, the first is a good digital scale, the other is the Munson plan. Age and length are almost no indication of what size feeder to give. Some corns are naturally thinner than others, some can be obese. I am glad he is a good eater, and until you get the scale go with the 1.5 rule: feed him a mouse that is 1.5 x as wide as his widest point on his body. And if he is as wide or wider than the mouse I would double up until you get the next size mouse.

As for feeding in the viv, I personally do it but all mine expect it to be served that way, I take the snake out of the viv, weigh and record weight, what I fed, if it ate or refused, if it is in blue, when they shed, and anything else noteworthy. I put the mouse on a lid and put it in the viv, then the snake goes back in. They don't drag the mouse anywhere. If you do have that problem, I agree with using the Tupperware for feeding. As soon as he's eaten you can put him back in the viv. Sometimes they are active after they eat, each is different.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm

Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
drybgerg
IME the only time a snake gets "cage aggressive" is if that's the only time you open the viv is to feed. If you continue to open viv for other things ie handling, spot cleaning, changing water, checking teps with gun etc etc they really don't associate the opening of the viv with food. I probably open up my vivs 5-10 times for other reasons vs the 1 time for feeding. All the years I fed in the vivs I never had any tank aggression.

I don't feed in the vivs anymore as it works out better for me to have a mouse prepared and waiting in feed bin, then I get out whoever is eating, look them over, weigh them and then into the feeding bin. I don't feed everybody on the same day that way I almost always have one that can be handled!! I always do a quick check for blue before I prepare a mouse (don't want to waste one).

Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by drybgerg View Post
IME the only time a snake gets "cage aggressive" is if that's the only time you open the viv is to feed. If you continue to open viv for other things ie handling, spot cleaning, changing water, checking teps with gun etc etc they really don't associate the opening of the viv with food. I probably open up my vivs 5-10 times for other reasons vs the 1 time for feeding. All the years I fed in the vivs I never had any tank aggression.
^^^^^^^^^This. You have to take your snake out several times a week and hold it, let it slither around you, and let him get to know you. I agree, if he only knows your hand is for food, he will become aggressive. Give him reasons to think otherwise.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by drybgerg View Post
I agree with this part!

I feel all of mine in their enclosures, and that includes my Carpet Pythons.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
wildfire
I picked up a plastic container that is about shoebox size. It won't work long term, but it'll work for now, and I can put it in the tank after he's done and let him leave on his own. Maybe once he's settled in more he will be a little calmer around his food.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google