• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A bit of color here and there...

CARattler40

got good knees?
Okay, a lot of color. The last litter from my black female, while small, yielded some mice with cool colors. It looks like I've got 1.0 white, 1.0 fawn, 0.1 yellow and 0.1 "weird thing" (yeah, I don't know too much about mouse color terms). There's also a 2-3 week old agouti in there from another litter (and pictures of the parents, of course). Enjoy!

DSCN2147.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

The white male's trying to look like a girl in this picture (the nub-to-anus gap is actually about a quarter inch-- he's definitely a boy.)
DSCN2132.jpg

Your male's a "fawn" (red-eyed-dilute red/dominant lethal yellow)
Your female may actually be a good dark Agouti or a self chocolate, not a self black.

You've gotten a pink-eyed white, a red, a fawn and a sable - and all three of the latter are heterozygous for Lethal Yellow. That's pretty good odds for the male having been heterozygous - especially since that pink-eyed white could be any colour under the white masking coat. Sort of like getting 75% Mack Snow geckos out of a mack X normal breeding.

I like mouse genetics - it's great fun working with something that's ready to breed in four to eight weeks instead of one to four years... and working out what genes pet-shop-bought animals carry based on the colours they produce is also fun.

I've got a bunch of the same colors with my latest mice bought at the local reptile show. What's the difference between fawn and red? I'd thought they were the same. I ended up with 2 fawn females and 1 fawn male and had to do some juggling of the pairs to make sure I didn't set up a colony with both male and female fawns.

Flagg said:
I've got a bunch of the same colors with my latest mice bought at the local reptile show. What's the difference between fawn and red? I'd thought they were the same. I ended up with 2 fawn females and 1 fawn male and had to do some juggling of the pairs to make sure I didn't set up a colony with both male and female fawns.

Red is "Dominant Lethal Yellow". Reds, though they may be visually anything from deep red-brown to bright yellow, will always have black eyes.
Fawn is "Dominant Lethal Yellow" + "Pink Eyed Dilute". Fawns are usually lighter than reds - yellows mostly - but always have red/pink eyes.

And "Sable" is Lethal Yellow + "something else" that makes them go darker on the back - and can occur in pink eyed or black eyed animals.

Update

Just a bit of an update on these little ones. They've all got their eyes open now and I took some individual pictures just for fun (they're all keepers anyway).

White male:
whitemale_1.jpg

Sable female:
sablefemale.jpg

Red male:
redmale_2.jpg

Fawn female:
fawnfemale.jpg

Their half sister, an agouti 2 weeks older than they are:
agoutifemale.jpg

Back