CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

UGH! How long till I see Pinks?!?!?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Lore
UGH! How long till I see Pinks?!?!?

I've had my Colony for exactly a MONTH now... Still I've got nothin... there have been times that I "thought" some females were looking roundish, then other days they dont, I see them every day so I know there have been no births and eatings of the babies etc.

How long does it generally take for a Colony to start producing???

Old 10-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
ArpeggioAngel
I wondered the same thing for a long time with ours as well. There were a few times I thought some of the females were pregnant - but nothing. Finally, after about ....I guess maybe 3months...we just had our first litter a few weeks ago. I don't know if ours were just too small yet when we got them or what, but we waited forever! I have no idea if this is the norm or not, but thought I would at least share what happened with ours.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Lore
Thank you for sharing... UGH... I hope it doesnt take 3 months... by that time I wont NEED pinks anymore and I'll have to grow fuzzies which will add to my waiting time again...

Darn mice...

Old 10-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Eremita
Maybe you just need something to get them in the mood, some nice music or suggestive literature or something, perhaps...

-Sean

Old 10-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Lore
LOL! I joked with the husband that I need to locate a "Love Songs of the 80's" CD or some Barry White and play that for them with some candlelight

Old 10-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
CARattler40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLore
I've had my Colony for exactly a MONTH now... Still I've got nothin... there have been times that I "thought" some females were looking roundish, then other days they dont, I see them every day so I know there have been no births and eatings of the babies etc.

How long does it generally take for a Colony to start producing???
A month isn't too long to go without pinks. My mice luckily "got busy" within the first 3 days that I had them, but there have been times when they go a month or longer without producing anything. Considering their gestation period is about 3 weeks, they would have had to have bred within the first week that you got them for you to be getting pinks yet.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
cornspot
Quote:
by that time I wont NEED pinks anymore
That's exactly what my gerbils did to me! Now Igot 3 little babies for my nonfeeders who are now eating! and i just fed them 2 days prior, so the gerbils will be too big by next feeding--I guess i coulda put them up in the freezer but since I have that anole in there, I figure I don't really need the gerbil babies.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
Jessicat
When I got my first breeding group it took about a month and a half or so for the first litter to appear. The litters were consistant after that until my cat killed my male.
Make sure to have a few females. If you want to have litter after litter with no break the females are going to get worn out. In the instance of my cat eating my male the mother was stuck with her babies and the babies of my other female who escaped. Altough it was obviously more strain on her than it would have been I only got two litters out of her before she died from exhaustion.

Edit:
Also, i just thought of something. I hope this isn't too discouraging, but your first litter will probably be small.
Are there any petstores around which breed mice? They might let you buy a pregnate female, who knows.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google