CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

what is the difference between coral snow and salmon snow?

Old 10-12-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
Zoexoxo
what is the difference between coral snow and salmon snow?

If salmon snow is a part of coral snow?or their only difference is coral snow has Hypo A and salmon snow has strawberry? I would like to know the detailed genetic composition of each of them .if anyone can help me I would be really appreciate

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Old 10-12-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
Caryl
Back when folks were trying to figure out what was causing all the pinks and reds, some thought that Hypo might be part of the look. Different breeders used names like coral, salmon, strawberry, bubblegum, cotton candy and other terms for the lines with which they were working. Through a lot of hard work by a lot of people, we have a better understanding. Still, a few of these terms are still used for line-bred animals. Most of these lines include some Red Factor (RF for short).

Usually in today's terminology, "coral" means one copy of Red Factor (RF for short), which is an incompletely dominant trait. If a snake has two copies of Red Factor (aka "super Red Factor") it's often called "Salmon." Strawberry is a different gene, part of the Hypo complex. So it's possible to have a Coral or Salmon Strawberry, possibly combined with Anery, Ghost, or other things.

If a breeder uses any of these terms, it's totally fine to ask them what they mean by the term. If you are considering breeding an animal, you will of course want to understand its genetics as far as possible. They should be able to explain what they're working with.

Does that help?

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2023, 02:51 AM   #3
Zoexoxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Back when folks were trying to figure out what was causing all the pinks and reds, some thought that Hypo might be part of the look. Different breeders used names like coral, salmon, strawberry, bubblegum, cotton candy and other terms for the lines with which they were working. Through a lot of hard work by a lot of people, we have a better understanding. Still, a few of these terms are still used for line-bred animals. Most of these lines include some Red Factor (RF for short).

Usually in today's terminology, "coral" means one copy of Red Factor (RF for short), which is an incompletely dominant trait. If a snake has two copies of Red Factor (aka "super Red Factor") it's often called "Salmon." Strawberry is a different gene, part of the Hypo complex. So it's possible to have a Coral or Salmon Strawberry, possibly combined with Anery, Ghost, or other things.

If a breeder uses any of these terms, it's totally fine to ask them what they mean by the term. If you are considering breeding an animal, you will of course want to understand its genetics as far as possible. They should be able to explain what they're working with.

Does that help?

In summary, salmon has one more RF than coral, right? The concept of these two varieties is not clear in my country. Many people believe that salmon is a part of coral, because the genetic composition of salmon is: amelanistic+Anery+strawberry. Coral: American+Any+Strawberry/Red coat/Hyomelanistic (maybe other Rf, etc.), but the prices of these two varieties with Strips are very different, (Coral Snow Strip is about 800CNY * 1, Salmon Snow strip is about 4500CNY * 1), so I try my best to distinguish them.(And the things you wrote were really helpful, I feel like I learned a lot. Thank you for your answer Caryl

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoexoxo View Post
In summary, salmon has one more RF than coral, right?
Correct. It's still a good idea to clarify that the breeder/seller is using the terms coral or salmon for Red Factor rather than simply as something line bred.

The mixed up situation you describe is a fair description of the way things were everywhere back when the inheritance of those traits wasn't yet understood. And yes, Stripes usually command a higher price than saddles.

Best of luck to you, @Zoexoxo !

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google