CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

aquarium size issues

Old 08-19-2002, 12:37 AM   #1
~*eRiN*~
aquarium size issues

I'm a first time snake owner (don't worry, i've done huge amounts of research) and i've read so many different places so many different size tanks i should get for my corn snake! I want to be humane, definitly something bigger than 15 gallons, but not blow my budget with a 55 gallon tank! What size do experienced owners sugguest i get that will make me and my new pet happy?
thanx!!

Old 08-19-2002, 01:44 AM   #2
Simon
Well a bear minimum of 20Gallon Long tank would hold an adult corn...anything larger would be a bonus for the snake.

for hatchlings, starting off with a 10 gallon tank would be good enough....nice an cozzy.

Old 08-19-2002, 02:10 AM   #3
bullfrog
when i got my two snakes from a guy in San Francisco he gave them to me housed in a 25 gallon. I went to petco and saw this really sweet tank that is about 55 gallons im guessing .... mabey even bigger and its only about 100 bux. It has one half of the top made of screen ( very strong screen) that cannot be removed from the tank. Then the other half is a glass pull up lid with a lock. Its really a great tank.

Old 08-19-2002, 02:35 AM   #4
SilverTongue
hehe I know exactly what tank you are talking about.....dont let that lid slip out of your fingers!

Old 08-19-2002, 11:09 AM   #5
Jr Nimeskern
Well Im very humane about my corns also... but I store them in Sterlite sweater boxes... these are good for me and many large breeders because they work very well in a rack system! you can get the sweater boxes at Walmart for around $3.50 ! its not that bad! nice and cheap just the way I like it!

Old 02-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
DomRmW
Could someone please post the name of that $100 tank that bullfrog and SilverTongue were talking about if you know the name of it, Thanks!

Old 02-26-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
TrpnBils
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRmW
Could someone please post the name of that $100 tank that bullfrog and SilverTongue were talking about if you know the name of it, Thanks!

Dom, it looks like you and I are from the same neck of the woods. I'm over in Erie at Penn State. One thing though...your weather up here sucks. You can keep it after I leave for the year...

Old 02-26-2005, 02:04 AM   #8
Sisuitl
I prefer sweater boxes too, they are inexpensive, sturdy, escape proof (knock on wood), easy to clean, and don't break when dropped. Plus they are very portable, a bonus for me since I travel with them a lot. The only drawback is the clearish ones aren't totally clear, so it's harder to see them in detail unless you take them out to play with.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #9
JeanH
I keep my two corns in Aquariums. One is in a 20 Gallon Long the other is in a 29 gallon tank. My guys have been in this size since they were hatchlings. Which is fine if you have a lot of hides. My guys have cover all the way across the tank. So they can feel safe going from the hot to cold sides. They also have hides on each side. I choose these tanks because they were free. I do plan on buying 40 gallon breeder tanks or larger when they get bigger. Even though this size is fine, I like to give extra room.

If I were on a budget I would either go with the sterlite/sweater containers or a 10 gal tank to start off with. You can get a 10 gal tank for under 20 bucks and the sweater box even cheaper. Then save my money and buy larger in a year. Or if you can go with the 20 or 29 gallon now and put lots of hides. Good cheap hides are paper towel rolls, they love them. Plastic dog bowls can be used for water bowls. Mine love to hide under them. I use repti bark and hollow out under the water bowl. That's their favorite place on the cool side. Butter dishes for a hide is fine. For looks you can go to a craft store and get silk plants. I'm sure there are other's that can come up with other budget ideas.

You can also search the paper for a tank, people get rid of them all the time.

Jean

Old 02-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
DdotSpot
Congrats on getting your first snake, and welcome to the forums!! I'll agree with the folks on here(even though I'm just a Snewbie). 10gal works great for the first 20 inches...I'd move up to a 20gal after that.

What kind of corn are you getting?!

Daniel

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google