CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Hams vs mice

Old 10-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Ashtail
Question Hams vs mice

i was thinking about breeding my own feeders and i was wondering which is better hamsters or mice. if there pretty much the same i was leaning toward hamsters since i've got a few as pets....enough to keep me in pinkies for years 4 females and 7 males

Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
PtDnsr
I'd go with mice if for no other reason than if for some reason they don't produce you can always buy feeder mice and don't have to worry about your snake refusing as much.

~Katie

Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
simple_minded
Personally I find hamsters are too cute to kill off, especially when they become adults. But If you already have some and don't mind killing them, then might as well use hamsters.

What type of hamsters do you have? I think syrians would make better breeders because you can control when they mate. They also have larger litters than dwarves.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Ashtail
Hams vs mice

there syrians.They all have a very good temperment especially there mom and dad she let me hold her pups like a day after she had them.....now that i think i'm not sure i could kill off my hamster babies but they adult i have now i probably could ( evil lil finger biters that they are)

Old 10-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
simple_minded
Adults might be too big though if your snake isn't fullgrown, and I dont know if the snakes will accept them as food, but you can always try.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
Jessicat
Hm, so obviously they're sexually mature, but are they full grown? Syrian hamsters are generally not communal. They live solitary lives, males and females only see each other when they mate. You may end up having problems with housing them together.
I got a dwarf hamster awhile ago that was pregnant already and she had her litter shortly after I brought her home. I left her alone for awhile because I read that dwarf hamsters are very sensitive about letting you handle their young. By the time the babies were old enough for me to handle them they already had pretty thick hair. My snakes didn't want anything to do with them.

If your snakes are big enough for rat pups I think that's the way to go.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Ashtail
hams vs mice

I think there fully grown there all about 3 or 4 years old.The females that i have together dont fight they get along realy good but the males fight sometimes. when i first put 1 of my males and females in the same cage they seemed ok no fighting it was all good even after she had her babies he would lay on them and keep them warm when she had to eat,drink or go poop.i think he likrd playin mr mommy

Old 10-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Ashtail
hams vs mice

I think there fully grown there all about 3 or 4 years old.The females that i have together don't fight they get along really good but the males fight sometimes. when i first put 1 of my males and females in the same cage they seemed ok no fighting it was all good even after she had her babies he would lay on them and keep them warm when she had to eat,drink or go poop.i think he liked playing mr mommy

Old 10-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
itswillis
I used to breed hamster I have had about 100 at a time. They breed faster and mature quicker than mice. My snakes have always readily accepted mice even when there diet consisted mostly of hamsters. I bred Siberians however they had quite a horrible temperament I had no problem at all giving those nippy little things to the snake's and well they do become a little larger than mice. I don't know if it is a problem or not but the snakes do not digest the seed that the hamster's store in there cheeks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google