• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UGH! How long till I see Pinks?!?!?

Lore

Insert Witty Phrase Here
I've had my Colony for exactly a MONTH now... Still I've got nothin... there have been times that I "thought" some females were looking roundish, then other days they dont, I see them every day so I know there have been no births and eatings of the babies etc.

How long does it generally take for a Colony to start producing??? :shrugs:

I wondered the same thing for a long time with ours as well. There were a few times I thought some of the females were pregnant - but nothing. Finally, after about ....I guess maybe 3months...we just had our first litter a few weeks ago. I don't know if ours were just too small yet when we got them or what, but we waited forever! I have no idea if this is the norm or not, but thought I would at least share what happened with ours.

Thank you for sharing... UGH... I hope it doesnt take 3 months... by that time I wont NEED pinks anymore and I'll have to grow fuzzies which will add to my waiting time again... :(

Darn mice... :smash:

Maybe you just need something to get them in the mood, some nice music or suggestive literature or something, perhaps... :laugh:

-Sean

LOL! I joked with the husband that I need to locate a "Love Songs of the 80's" CD or some Barry White and play that for them with some candlelight :roflmao:

SilentLore said:
I've had my Colony for exactly a MONTH now... Still I've got nothin... there have been times that I "thought" some females were looking roundish, then other days they dont, I see them every day so I know there have been no births and eatings of the babies etc.

How long does it generally take for a Colony to start producing??? :shrugs:
A month isn't too long to go without pinks. My mice luckily "got busy" within the first 3 days that I had them, but there have been times when they go a month or longer without producing anything. Considering their gestation period is about 3 weeks, they would have had to have bred within the first week that you got them for you to be getting pinks yet. ;)

by that time I wont NEED pinks anymore
That's exactly what my gerbils did to me! Now Igot 3 little babies for my nonfeeders who are now eating! and i just fed them 2 days prior, so the gerbils will be too big by next feeding--I guess i coulda put them up in the freezer but since I have that anole in there, I figure I don't really need the gerbil babies.

Good luck!

When I got my first breeding group it took about a month and a half or so for the first litter to appear. The litters were consistant after that until my cat killed my male.
Make sure to have a few females. If you want to have litter after litter with no break the females are going to get worn out. In the instance of my cat eating my male the mother was stuck with her babies and the babies of my other female who escaped. Altough it was obviously more strain on her than it would have been I only got two litters out of her before she died from exhaustion.

Edit:
Also, i just thought of something. I hope this isn't too discouraging, but your first litter will probably be small.
Are there any petstores around which breed mice? They might let you buy a pregnate female, who knows.

Back