CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #61
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
Oh, I know I won't be taken seriously here but it has nothing to do with me not being an American. You guys don't take anyone seriously that doesn't conform to your conservative echo chamber.

In fact, I witnessed in an amazing moment when one of the mods threaten to ban someone for standing up to KJUN back in the day.

So I'm well aware of the level of respect many of you don't have for people who disagree with you and I've never seen that disdain and self righteousness not be applied to an American liberal.

It's dishonest to claim that the attitude I receive from yourself or Rich or whoever is not purely ideologically related.
In my younger days, you would have been right about that in regards to me. I was a "right winger", and conservative to the core. My views have since changed on many issues, and I consider myself better for it. People grow and change constantly.
And you might be shocked to know it, but I do respect you. I think you are extremely intelligent, probably much more intelligent than I am.
But without actually living here, being an American, being immersed in this culture, living by the laws here, all your intelligence means nothing when it comes to having an opinion on issues such as this.
And that is why, while I respect you as an intelligent human being, I can't take your posts seriously when it comes to American politics.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #62
Rich Z
Quote:
If you're going to put words in my mouth, should I even bother being here? Are you going to speak for me now?
See, there you go posting nonsensical stuff again. If you go looking for an argument, why pretend to be so surprised when you get it?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #63
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
See, there you go posting nonsensical stuff again. If you go looking for an argument, why pretend to be so surprised when you get it?
Get what? What are you talking about? You went off talking about ice cream causing drownings. I never said anything about cause.

Let me repeat: I never said anything about cause.. You brought that up.

I stated that judging by the comments here, things were better when tax rates were higher. If things are worse now, they must have been better before. Tax rates were higher before.

What about that has anything to do with what you then implied I said?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #64
starsevol
Quote:
Get what? What are you talking about? You went off talking about ice cream causing drownings. I never said anything about cause.

I stated that judging by the comments here, things were better when tax rates were higher. If things are worse now, they must have been better before. Tax rates were higher before.

As a percentage of every dollar earned, taxes were NOT higher before.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #65
Outcast
I posted this in another thread, but it seems to have a place in this one as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
The issue that I see is a disconnect between the people who have grown up with certain rights, and those who never had those rights to begin with. We, who have grown up with the right to bare arms, look at people over the pond, and do not understand why they cannot have guns. They look at us and wonder why we get in an uproar about the legislation coming down that restricts our rights to have guns.

We will never agree on certain subjects, because we have not grown up in the same type of life. It is completely a cultural thing. But, comparing the US to Europe is just about as useless as comparing snakes to dogs...

Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #66
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
In my younger days, you would have been right about that in regards to me. I was a "right winger", and conservative to the core. My views have since changed on many issues, and I consider myself better for it. People grow and change constantly.
And you might be shocked to know it, but I do respect you. I think you are extremely intelligent, probably much more intelligent than I am.
But without actually living here, being an American, being immersed in this culture, living by the laws here, all your intelligence means nothing when it comes to having an opinion on issues such as this.
And that is why, while I respect you as an intelligent human being, I can't take your posts seriously when it comes to American politics.
Well, the belief that opinions from people not directly involved in the situation are worthless is pretty unusual. This very board is proof of that. Animal care has some basic rules, but is very specific to the animal. What you do to care for your Corn Snake may not be exactly the same as what I do to care for my Corn Snake. We live in different environments with different requirements. We live in different economic situations. We live under different regulations. My Corn will have a different personality than yours, different appetite, different aggression levels, different behavior. Does that mean that your opinion regarding care of my Corn Snake is worthless? Of course not. I'll bet you know way more about taking care of a Corn Snake than I do. I won't just blindly agree to anything you say, but I will take your opinion, weigh it against what the situation is, and make a choice. I won't just dismiss your opinion out of hand because, "You just don't know, Man!"

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #67
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
As a percentage of every dollar earned, taxes were NOT higher before.
I was going to ask about that 43% number. Where does it come from? What was it before?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #68
airenlow
Nova, this would be like you not having a corn and still giving us advice...

Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #69
Chip
Quote:
Oh, I know I won't be taken seriously here but it has nothing to do with me not being an American. You guys don't take anyone seriously that doesn't conform to your conservative echo chamber.
Conservative echo chamber? I am an atheist for gay marriage, legalizing drugs, prostitution, gambling, and pretty much champion any social liberty. I get along famously with these "conservatives," and have had calm dialogs about our differences. The only two posters I have ever had to temporarily put on ignore to avoid their personal attacks were actually leftists. In my view of this forum, it is usually they who are most intolerant of ideas they disagree with.
Quote:
It's dishonest to claim that the attitude I receive from yourself or Rich or whoever is not purely ideologically related.
Not true. You frustrate those you debate with, and I believe you do it deliberately. People are generally not their most pleasant around those who frustrate them.
Quote:

Please read it again:

Quote:
Well, you all talk about how things are getting worse and worse. So I assume that means they used to be better. Tax rates used to be much higher.

Ergo, things were better when tax rates were higher.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #70
starsevol
Quote:
Well, the belief that opinions from people not directly involved in the situation are worthless is pretty unusual. This very board is proof of that. Animal care has some basic rules, but is very specific to the animal. What you do to care for your Corn Snake may not be exactly the same as what I do to care for my Corn Snake. We live in different environments with different requirements. We live in different economic situations. We live under different regulations. My Corn will have a different personality than yours, different appetite, different aggression levels, different behavior. Does that mean that your opinion regarding care of my Corn Snake is worthless? Of course not. I'll bet you know way more about taking care of a Corn Snake than I do. I won't just blindly agree to anything you say, but I will take your opinion, weigh it against what the situation is, and make a choice. I won't just dismiss your opinion out of hand because, "You just don't know, Man!"
Right, but in your scenario, we both have the same animal. Sure, some things are different, but every person's life and experiances are different. Corns need certain things to thrive, no matter who owns them, that is a constant.

But as far as politics go, sure, you can have an opinion. You can have an opinion to your heart's content. But laws made here don't affect you or your way of life, and never will. Policies made here won't affect you or your life, and never will. You don't have to obey our laws where you are. And not living here and being "in it", you don't know what it is like.
You can believe that if this country was run according to your beliefs, or the way other governments are run, that life here would improve. But without all the intricacies of living here under this government, it is a moot point.

I have no knowledge of Canadian politics or policies, or taxes or anything else. Just because I think my opinion of how things should be run is more appealing to me, I would never dare suggest that canada should be run "my way".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google