CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #81
Nova_C
That having a higher tax rate does not automatically mean bad things.

People read what they want to into statistics, but statistics can never show causation. When you say:

Quote:
"98% of serial killers like ketchup on their fries," that makes you wonder if they really see ketchup as causation
Someone, either you or the person you talk about, is totally misunderstanding statistics.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #82
Chip
You are the Michael Jordan of picking out only the parts of communication you choose to respond to, Nova. I have a dog's stapled up belly to clean. I'm out for a while.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #83
Nova_C
I addressed your post. I just reread it and I'm not aware of anything that I missed.

The past, with higher tax rates and apparently better economies, suggest a correlation. Certainly higher tax rates doesn't cause a better economy, but the correlation puts to rest the notion that higher tax rates must mean a worse economy. I'm not sure where Starsevol's numbers to get at that 43% come from as they never cited any sources, so I can only go by the information that I have.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=456

Which is, tax rates are lower than they've been for decades and the economy is still floundering. In fact, the crash began while tax rates were very, very low.

So low tax rates also does not always mean a better economy.

The reason I brought it up was the notion put forth about how 'high' taxes are. Starsevol talked about 'fees' and other things, but was very non-specific, and again, did not cite anything, so I have no idea what to do with that information.

So, finally, tax rates were higher when times were better. Lower tax rates has not made anything better.

The only thing left, if you would like to continue, is to either explain in more detail where I claimed that high tax rates cause things to get better, or acknowledge that I did not say that any more than the statistic "98% of serial killers like ketchup on their fries" says that ketchup causes serial killers.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #84
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
I addressed your post. I just reread it and I'm not aware of anything that I missed.

The past, with higher tax rates and apparently better economies, suggest a correlation. Certainly higher tax rates doesn't cause a better economy, but the correlation puts to rest the notion that higher tax rates must mean a worse economy. I'm not sure where Starsevol's numbers to get at that 43% come from as they never cited any sources, so I can only go by the information that I have.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=456

Which is, tax rates are lower than they've been for decades and the economy is still floundering. In fact, the crash began while tax rates were very, very low.

So low tax rates also does not always mean a better economy.

The reason I brought it up was the notion put forth about how 'high' taxes are. Starsevol talked about 'fees' and other things, but was very non-specific, and again, did not cite anything, so I have no idea what to do with that information.

So, finally, tax rates were higher when times were better. Lower tax rates has not made anything better.

The only thing left, if you would like to continue, is to either explain in more detail where I claimed that high tax rates cause things to get better, or acknowledge that I did not say that any more than the statistic "98% of serial killers like ketchup on their fries" says that ketchup causes serial killers.
First, I corrected myself when I said that depending on tax bracket, now taxes are 32-40% of every dollar earned by someone who works for a living. It is not 43%. I googled it and found out exactly what the percentage is.

Fees are charged now, that weren't before. I gave you the example of the "911" fee that amounts to 7-8% additional I am forced to pay for a $35 Virgin top-up card for my phone.
There are hidden fees in gasoline, phone bills, utility bills, insurance bills...many due to 911. My insurance company has a special "insurance protection against terrorist damage" fee that is automatically charged to my business. I need to specifically opt out of it every year but how many people don't even know it exists?
For the first time EVER in my state, you need to pay for a license to go clamming. New taxes, licenses and fees are being introduced or raised, many due to 911. Fact of life here.
Of course if you lived here you would know that......

Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #85
Outcast
And we all get back to when I quoted myself... You can replace Europe with Canada.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #86
Nova_C
The "911" fee on a phone is for the 9-1-1 operator services. Like, when there's an emergency. My phone had that too, when I lived in a community with 9-1-1.

I don't think it has anything to do with terrorism.

And insurance fees and whatnot are not the purview of the government. How is it the government's fault when a company tries to gouge you? I don't get it.

PS. Can you link that 32-40% stuff? I'd like to read it, please.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #87
Outcast
Quote:
And insurance fees and whatnot are not the purview of the government. How is it the government's fault when a company tries to gouge you? I don't get it.
Yet they are now forcing everyone to get health insurance? Hmmm....

Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #88
starsevol
Quote:
The "911" fee on a phone is for the 9-1-1 operator services. Like, when there's an emergency. My phone had that too, when I lived in a community with 9-1-1.

I don't think it has anything to do with terrorism.

PS. Can you link that 32-40% stuff? I'd like to read it, please.
Actually, I believe you are wrong on your first statement. The 911 fee I am refering to has to do with homeland security, which came about due to 911.

Extra fees are a tax. That has nothing to do with a huge premium, a fee has to do with an added tax that is passed on. It is a tax on a service, due to that service having more taxes and expenses.

As far as the other...http://www.babeled.com/2009/04/22/ho...-pay-in-taxes/

Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #89
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Actually, I believe you are wrong on your first statement. The 911 fee I am refering to has to do with homeland security, which came about due to 911.

Extra fees are a tax. That has nothing to do with a huge premium, a fee has to do with an added tax that is passed on. It is a tax on a service, due to that service having more taxes and expenses.

As far as the other...http://www.babeled.com/2009/04/22/ho...-pay-in-taxes/
Heh, no. Like I said, I get 911 fees. They are for 911 services. As in, when you dial 9-1-1 on your phone.

This FAQ is for Texas, but it is relevant even if you don't live in Texas.

So you are claiming that every time a company charges a 'fee' it is because the government is taxing them in a new way? Prove it, because that's absolutely ridiculous.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #90
Nova_C
And that article is including taxes paid by companies and corporations on their revenue as part of the individual's tax burden? I have one response to that:

AHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

That's awesome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google