CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

The official Black Milksnake thread!!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #21
Suzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJagsz View Post
I love black milks, this thread is an awesome idea! I really want one for myself sometime in the future... Is there any reason why they are kept on the cooler side? Would it be okay if I kept them at the same temps as my corns (usually 82-88F during the day and 70-80F during the night)?
Their normal habitat is at 4500-6000' in elevation in the mountains of Panama and Costa Rica. They are usually at the low to mid 70s in their natural habitat year round.
I have spoken with several people about Black Milks, and they say that if Black Milks are kept too warm they begin to cruise and act as though they are panting as they pace their viv. They are much more comfortable at cooler temperatures.
Another risk of keeping them too warm is frequent shedding and digesting their meals too quickly, which can (i'm not saying it will) cause obesity.
I keep mine at room temperature, and he has been doing really well. He's growing quickly, but not too quickly. The lowest temps he sustains are 68 (on a rare occasion) and the highest is about 80. I can see that he paces his viv much more when it's 80 degrees, so I keep a fan on his viv when it gets that hot. I try to keep his temps between 72 and 78 on average, though.
Sorry for being so lengthy! I absolutely adore Black Milks, and I could talk about them for hours.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
EmJagsz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Their normal habitat is at 4500-6000' in elevation in the mountains of Panama and Costa Rica. They are usually at the low to mid 70s in their natural habitat year round.
I have spoken with several people about Black Milks, and they say that if Black Milks are kept too warm they begin to cruise and act as though they are panting as they pace their viv. They are much more comfortable at cooler temperatures.
Another risk of keeping them too warm is frequent shedding and digesting their meals too quickly, which can (i'm not saying it will) cause obesity.
I keep mine at room temperature, and he has been doing really well. He's growing quickly, but not too quickly. The lowest temps he sustains are 68 (on a rare occasion) and the highest is about 80. I can see that he paces his viv much more when it's 80 degrees, so I keep a fan on his viv when it gets that hot. I try to keep his temps between 72 and 78 on average, though.
Sorry for being so lengthy! I absolutely adore Black Milks, and I could talk about them for hours.
Lengthy often provides the most useful information, and that's exactly what you have provided me with! Thank you! I have yet to do any considerable research on these guys, as I am not anticipating a black milk any time soon, but it's good to read these things from people who have first-hand experience with this type of snake. Thank you again

Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
The_Thunderer
I'm keeping mine in an unheated tank because of everything Suzy said. The house is between 72 and 78 degrees right now and MIGHT get as high as 82 in the summer. When I first got him, he tended to do exactly what Suzy said in "pacing his viv" because I had a uth under him. He seems much more "calm" than before and is quite the character.

That reminds me that I don't think I've posted pics of him on this thread, yet... Here's Shazam!

In his "transport" container.

I just LOVE him!! LOL. These are OLDER pics, so I've gotta get update pics soon.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #24
Kevin S.
How long does it take these guys to shed? I joined the club last week (picked up a subadult male on Thursday). He was in blue when I got him and just cleared up a few days ago, but still hasn't shed. Assuming he wasn't blue until the day I got him and that he sheds today, that's a 9 day shed cycle. Now I've been out of snakes for a while, but I don't remember any of my corns taking nearly that long to shed. Did I just manage to get an oddball somehow?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #25
The_Thunderer
My milk and my corns shed between 5-7 days after they "clear up". So, as of now, I wouldn't really worry about it yet. Just wait and you'll see brand new "clothes" on your guy in a little while. LOL.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #26
The_Thunderer
Well, several other Black Milksnake owners said we need to have our own thread... so I'm reviving this one with a couple of my most recent pics of Shazam... Hope the others follow suit!!!

These are from about a month ago... Enjoy!

Please don't poop on the Christmas ornament, Shazam!

Yes, Shazam... I was just on the computer. Can you smell me?

Patroling the table...

I know I posted these last two on his progression thread... but here they are again. LOL.
Shazam, you're a TERRESTRIAL snake! LOL.

Okay, fellow Black Milksnake owners - let's keep the thread alive!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
CaptBogart
Cool, I've been waiting for a thread to start on the "Other Black Snake" for awhile...

I keep mine in a tank in my snake room with the rest. He's on a lower shelf so it doesn't get as hot. When he was little I kept him on the bottom rack where it was coolest.

Coal, 1.0 late '07 Black Milk
When I got him

A few months ago

He's had a few sheds since then, so I'll be getting update pics soon...

Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #28
classdwhite
sweet my threads been bumped back up!

looks like the number of BM owners is increasing nicely here. thats great, theyre awesome snakes. ill try to get some new shots of my beasts later.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
ZoologyGirl
I'll post the most recent pics I have of mine. I'll take newer pics once I get my new computer, they both have shed a couple times after these pictures.

Wrath, my 07.

And Envy, an 08

Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #30
ZoologyGirl
I'll post the most recent pics I have of mine. I'll take newer pics once I get my new computer, they both have shed a couple times after these pictures.

Wrath, my 07.

And Envy, an 08

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google