CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

I got lucky!

Old 04-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #1
Frank Pinello
I got lucky!

Got lucky today. I keep all my corn snakes in my garage and over many years I had 4 or 5 corns escape. Once they escape I never find them again.
About 2 weeks ago one of my favorites, a 10 month old lava sunkissed corn, was missing from his enclosure. I still can't figure out how he escaped. All past escapes I was able to determine that human (me) error caused the escape.
Once I realized he was gone I went through everything but couldn't find the little guy. I was really 😡. His colors were really starting to pop. And his growth really starting to take off. Figured I just lost a gem.
Two weeks later (today), I walked into my garage to my snake area to change out water bowls. Went to grab the 5 gallon bucket from under my snake work table and noticed movement in in the bucket. There he was, too small to climb out of the bucket. First thought that came to me was I left him in the bucket for two weeks. I use a 5 gallon bucket to hold the snakes while I spot clean their cages. But No, I used that bucket multiple times this week. The only explanation was he fell into the bucket for me to find....... LUCKY ME!
Needless to say I Moved him to a different enclosure! Boy was he thirsty and hungry too. He is now hydrated and with a full belly comfortably resting from his little scary adventure.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Twolunger
Hey Frank, you were indeed lucky. I use snake racks, but if I'm not sure about the spacing between the container and shelf I shim it as an extra precaution. At least until the corn gets some size on it. I tore my snake room apart when a lavender male was missing but couldn't find him. As I was cleaning out the empty container I lifted the water bowl and there he was coiled up under it. How he could lift the bowl when it was flat against the bottom of the container was beyond me, but he did it.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
SnakeCreations
That is fantastic! I do dislike loosing snakes, especially when it is operator error...gah!

Congrats!

-Tonya

Old 04-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
Frank Pinello
I move my corns into racks once they reach about 18 months of age. Hatchlings I keep in shoe box size plastic containers with lockable lids. At Around 6 months of age I move them in a larger size plastic lockable containers. I just don't trust the hatchling racks.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Dennis Gulla
Good thing you found him!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google