CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Feeding Corn Snakes

Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
kevb
Feeding Corn Snakes

Hi, i'm new to this forum, so I wanted to say hello. I also have a question about the amount I should be feeding my corn snakes. I have a two year old which gets 1 30g mouse every 10 days, I've had him since he was 6 months old. I also recently rescued a 15 year old corn snake, he was getting 2 30g-39g mice every week. I have cut him down to 1 mouse every 10 days. Can anyone tell me if I am feeding them the correct amounts.
Thank you
Kevin

Old 07-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
most of us base the food weight to the snake weight (aka the Munson Feeding Plan). You can find this feeding plan on this site if you take the time to search for it.

It's based roughly on feeding babies 13% to 15% of the snake's weight in food weekly, adolescents 10% to 13% in food every 10 days, and adults once they are full grown just get 1 large mouse every 14 to 21 days.

It's easy to over feed a snake, and snakes can get fat just as any animal can.

A corn snake should not seem fat. Their body shape should not be round (fat) or triangular (too thin) but similar to the shape of a loaf of bread (just right).

Most of us use scales that measure in grams, such as a kitchen scale which can be purchased at walmart, target, or anywhere kitchen wares are sold.

You simply weigh the snake, and then feed appropriately.

Since your snakes are "Adults" weighing them may not be necessary, but you don't want to over feed them. 1 Large mouse (30 to 35 grams) every 14 to 21 days will be fine.

Examples: a baby weighing 20 grams would receive 1 or 2 pinkies totaling 2.4 grams, an adolescent weighing 200 grams would receive 1 mouse weighing about 20 grams, and an adult weighing 500 grams would get 1 mouse weighing about 35 grams.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
kevb
Thank you

Hi Karl, thank you for the advice, without realising it I have already been following the Munson plan. My confusion came from other people telling me i was under feeding my snakes. I normally weigh them once a month.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google