CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Some questions on basic corn snake care

Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
fishyfriends876
Some questions on basic corn snake care

Hello! I am interested in keeping a corn snake, but have a few questions:
1. What is the correct temperature and humidity? Some sites say that up to 90 degrees is ok, but others say that 85 degrees is best. What basking temperature do you use? Also, what humidity is recommended. I varies lots of times from site to site and video to video when I am researching.

2. What is the best age to purchase a corn snake? Baby, Juvie, adult? I am a new snake keeper, and have very little experience with reptiles.

3. Some sites say to use rats when the snake gets bigger, some snakes say to just use mice all the time. What is correct? Also, is there any chart or easy rule to remember to know what size and how much to feed a corn snake throughout it's life?

4. Is it ok if I use an undertank heater? Or is it better to use a basking light? Also, to measure the UTH's temp, should I make the temperature that is recommended the temperature right on the heater, or where the substrate is?

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
Greetings and Welcome!

1. Temps - I keep my warm sides at 85. That way if there is variability, and there always is, it's not too hot. Humidity - I don't worry about unless my snakes have issues shedding, then I add a moist hide.

2. Age - depends upon your comfort level. I like to watch them grow and change, so I prefer hatchlings. Larger snakes are typically well established feeders and easier to handle. Just make sure that a hatchling has eaten at least 4-5 times without issues.

3. Rats/Mice - Use whatever you can get on a consistent basis. There are debates about fat content in rats and diet variability. <shrugs> Remember, a hatchling cannot eat any size rat, and if it's not broke, don't fix it. Do a search here for the Munson Plan (feeding schedule that uses snakes weight versus mouse size).

4. Undertank with a thermostat, for the win! Cornsnakes don't need basking lights, but they do need belly heat to digest. Just make sure you have a warm and a cool side.

For anything else, do a search on this site - you'll be glad you did!

Hope this helps and enjoy!

-Tonya

Old 11-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #3
fishyfriends876
Thank you!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:02 AM   #4
Zincubus
Just to add...

When the snake is in shed mode/blue just spray the viv daily then when the eyes clear and colour returns you spray two or three times daily ..

The snake will have a perfect shed s few days later ..

As regards mice / rats there’s research around showing that there’s very little difference nutritionally-wise but it’s EASIER / more convenient to feed a rat than multiple mice .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 AM   #5
Zincubus
Oh and hatchlings are cute .. but very small and FAST when you’re handling ... they can also escape through the tiniest of gaps but it is nice to see them grow ...

Yearlings are great ... nice size to see and handle plus they’re a bit slower moving than tiny hatchlings..oh and you can’t always tell exactly what your Corn snake is gonna like if you buy a tiny hatchling as their colours kinda evolve over the first year or so ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
fishyfriends876
Thank you Zincubus for the information!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
basic care, corn snake