CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Dry/ brittle scales

Old 05-12-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
Noel_Gallagher
Dry/ brittle scales

Ive recently noticed that my normal 3 year old is feeling a little dry. I dont think its a shed coming on as it wasnt long since she did her last one. Obviously I increased the humidity by spraying her viv every other day (dont want to give her a humidity change to fast), I think this should help but is there anything else anyone can think of in addition to this or do u think this should be fine.

P.S I have also started using the 4 Paws Vita Spray on her (I only use to use it during sheds) each day

Thanks

Old 05-12-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
13mur 6
Try giving her a humid hide, seems to help my snakes out alot during dryspells in the weather. They seem to like to hide out there half the time.

-13mur 6

Old 05-12-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
Noel_Gallagher
Cheers for that. I think ive seem them before but could ya plz remind me exactly what one is

Thanks for ya help

Old 05-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
13mur 6
Oh, it's quite simple, all you need is a tupperware container, coolwhip container, or any sort of closeable plastic container, cut an entrance hole in it and fill it with damp paper towels or damp moss. Hope that helps.

-13mur 6

Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #5
jakethesnake001
Lightbulb dry skin

I had a problem with my snakes belly scales being extremely dry and brittle. I bathed my snake in the tub every couple days. The scales also appearred to be brown underneath. What kind of substrate are you using. I used reptile bark, and it looked and felt damp, but for some reason or another it was drying out my snake. I switched to this recycled paper pellets kitty litter stuff, and it lookes good and the problem is no more. Jake (my snow corn) had this problem for about 2 months. He shed recently and now he is better. If i were you, I would not worry too much. Wait to see if he sheds. Bathe him in your tub every few days. It may not appear to be doing anything, and your snake could be like that or worse until his next shed. If your little guy has wat my snake did, he'll be fine when he eventually sheds. If not, visit the vet. Hope this helps!!! Good luck!

Old 05-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #6
Noel_Gallagher
Im just using bark chippings at the mo. The 4Paws spray seems to be doing her good and the spraying of the tank has also helped. Seems to be clearing up nicely.

Thanks for the replies

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google