CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

2 new Snakes (story and question)

Old 06-23-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
Nagah11979
Exclamation 2 new Snakes (story and question)

I just got two new snakes, a snow and a normal. A friend of mine gave them to me because he was not able to take care of them anymore (financial problems...he couldn't afford to feed them). He got them about a year ago from his sister who works at the zoo. I guess since cornsnakes are so common they decided to take them off the exhibits.
What amazed me was how little he was informed about the proper care of cornsnakes, with his sister working at the zoo and all. I mean, the two adult cornsnakes were sharing a small 10 GALLON tank complete with SAND a HEAT ROCK and only ONE HIDE that both snakes had to share. When he asked me if i could take care of them for him i agreed right away, not caring if my parents aproved or not because i felt so bad for the snakes. It really makes me sad that there are so many people out there who really do not know anything about snakes and what they need...even people from the ZOO who are supposed to be knowledgeable about their care...grrr.

Well anyway, here's my question, i remember hearing something about quarantine for new snakes before introducing them to other snakes in the collection. How long should i keep them separated before i can handle/bathe them together?

Old 06-24-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
Scorpionking
Did you that both corns to a vet ? If not do that ASAP, about the quarantine, I usually do a 30 days. I do not know if I am totaly right but I handle the snakes every day, except after feeding, for then to get used to me...

Old 06-24-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
moreptiles
I would say that the quarantine period depends on how cautious you want to be. Some big breeders have a 1 year or greater quarantine period, but they have hundreds of thousands of dollars at risk. I suggest putting the snakes on white paper and leave them in a separate room for at least 30 days to make sure they don't have mites. Mites can travel around a room and infect a snake in a separate cage. To be sure you don't transmit other diseases, I suggest either a vet exam or else treat them with a semi-quarantine for several months (wash hands after handling or cleaning, disinfect water bowls or vivs with bleach or ammonia, watch sheds and poo's carefully, if they refuse a meal, consider it contaminated and don't give it to another snake, etc.) It is better to be cautious for a while than to be sorry later. IMHO

Old 06-24-2003, 02:36 PM   #4
Alicia
I personally have a 90 day quarantine period. If you feel that is too long then go with a shorter time. IMHO, I wouldn't go less then 30 days

Good luck with your new additions!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google