CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Freaking out! My first snake laid an egg- she was a virgin as far as I know!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #61
Lyion
Wait- if she goes blue she'll refuse to eat! She doesn't eat before or during going blue.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #62
Airidies
They normally eat the day after laying, feed her then and then again after she sheds

I had a female that I thought was a male, I put her with another female and she laid 6 eggs, 2 that looked fertile, plump and white and 4 yellow slugs. The two eggs deflated in 2 weeks. She was 170 grams about a month before laying and 130 after. That almost 3 months ago (maybe a little more) and she's already back to 160grams. I fed her two pinks after she laid and then after she shed a rat pink. Then every 5 days I gave her either a fuzzie or a rat pink. She's now eating hoppers/ rat "peach fuzzies" every week.

Just slowly build her back up to her normal meal... I feed rats every once in a while because they have a higher fat content and help with weight gain. You can also get some Reptile Vitamins and Calcium powder and dust the rodent before feeding.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #63
Lyion
I went upstairs to feed her a fuzzy and she's still laying! I'm rather concerned- I could plainly see the egg at her cloaca, yet none of it was out. Do you think I should just check when I get back?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
diamondlil
Leave her alone to pass the egg in peace. The worst case scenario for an undersized, underage female is that she has egg binding to deal with next. If she goes into shed before she eats, so be it. After she has her postlay shed you can start feeding her up and hope for the best.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #65
Lyion
What would I do if its bound? How long should I wait for her to pass it before becoming worried?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #66
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyion View Post
What would I do if its bound? How long should I wait for her to pass it before becoming worried?
Honestly, and I can't emphasise this enough, my personal advice would be to let her do this with as little intervention as possible. She is underage and undersized, but snakes are remarkably resilient. I have had eggs passed after several weeks, just feeding the females to build them up and letting nature take its course. Personally, I'd say anything such as swimming her, massaging the egg out or aspiration would possibly do more harm than good and cause her more stress. Left alone in her laybox is the best action you can take right now, disturbing a female can stop them laying.
(I did exactly that with the first female I bred, interrupted her laying and was told in very strong terms by people I respected to keep my hands off her and let her be)

Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #67
bitsy
I echo Janine's advice. Try and set yourself the goal of not checking on her *at all* for the next 12 hours. There's nothing you can do to help the process at the moment and a lot you can do to cause problems.

It's tough advice to follow but she really is best left to her own devices just at the moment.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #68
starsevol
Lindsay darling, PLEASE listen to what everyone is saying.
At this point, you should not even know she laid another egg, unless you checked on her. Please don't check in her at all.
Most likely you checking on her interupted her laying, and she is even more apt to become eggbound.
Seriously, every single time you check in her the chance of her dying increases. So please Stop. Please?

Snakes can poop, shed and lay eggs without any help from us.
Please let her do what she needs to do.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #69
Lyion
Thanks everyone. I do not have much of a choice. I left for the brief roadtrip today. Should I check when I get back. I'll be back in two days or so.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #70
bitsy
I honestly think this is the breathing space she needs. It's going to be very hard on you, I completely understand that, but there's nothing that you can actively do for her just at the moment. Do make sure your brother knows to leave her alone while you're gone as well.

Try and concentrate on whatever it is your roadtrip is for - it'll do you good as well. Bless you for being so caring but nature has to deal with this situation for the moment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google