CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Early introductions

Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #61
diamondlil
And in Kate's clutch, this oddity, oozing fluids.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #62
bekers71
Ewwwww...I hate eggs like that. It wont take long and you'll be gagging over the smell. Now days if I have one attached to the other eggs like that, I use a razorblade and cut it off. There will still be a small bit of shell stuck to the good egg. Then I just use a warm damp cloth and gently clean any remaining ooze off the good egg. I can handle a lot of things, but eggs like that are awful.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #63
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekers71 View Post
Ewwwww...I hate eggs like that. It wont take long and you'll be gagging over the smell. Now days if I have one attached to the other eggs like that, I use a razorblade and cut it off. There will still be a small bit of shell stuck to the good egg. Then I just use a warm damp cloth and gently clean any remaining ooze off the good egg. I can handle a lot of things, but eggs like that are awful.
Ah, thanks for that, I'll get rid of it now.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #64
diamondlil
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! It was, at one point, a viable egg. When I looked again more of the albumin had leaked, so I decided to operate, using tweezers and a stitch-cutter. (very useul little curved blades I liberated a supply of from work)
I found this little snake-to-be inside, RIP little one.
There were little fungus gnats in the box, so maybe they'd attacked a weak point in the egg? I've dusted liberally with diatomaceous earth.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #65
airenlow
Sorry you lost an egg like this, but that is very interesting to see the embryo! I have a clutch 4 days older than Kate's and it's cool to see what stage of development they are currently at.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #66
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Sorry you lost an egg like this, but that is very interesting to see the embryo! I have a clutch 4 days older than Kate's and it's cool to see what stage of development they are currently at.
Isn't it! I never expected to see anything so developed, you can see its heart.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #67
bekers71
That is really neat and sad at the same time. I've cut open eggs at different stages before, ones that looked bad, it's always interesting to see how far they got in development. I'd imagine with that egg leaking so much, the poor little one was already doomed. It could have been already deceased and was being preserved by the remaining fluids. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #68
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekers71 View Post
That is really neat and sad at the same time. I've cut open eggs at different stages before, ones that looked bad, it's always interesting to see how far they got in development. I'd imagine with that egg leaking so much, the poor little one was already doomed. It could have been already deceased and was being preserved by the remaining fluids. Thanks for sharing the photos.
No worries, thanks for the heads-up. I'd have been tempted to see if it was going to survive to hatching and now at least I know the clutch is fertile and have treated the flies

Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #69
diamondlil
This egg has a 'bulge' but isn't leaking, so I'll see what happens.........

Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #70
RavenSpirit360
Aww... that is sad, but also a unique experience... Hope the rest do well..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google