CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Corn Snake Racism.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
Bubbles
Corn Snake Racism.

Corn Snake Racism

Has anyone noticed people on the internet seam to like and dislike different morphs of corn snakes? for example a normal corn snake compared to a morphed one. People seam to care more about the morphs and hate the normal I don't see why. from my point of view a snake is a snake no matter what colour size or shape it is it is kind of like Racism for snake by downgrading them because of there colours and sizes I was just wondering what others peoples views on this topic is that's if you no what I am on about?

Old 07-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
princess
Whilst I agree there is a point there that you're observing, that some people think normals aren't worth squat and others think they're beautiful, it's just like the hybrid/no hybrid debate or any other personal prefference issue.

I think it's just called personal preference. I think guys should be allowed to say they don't like short dumpy women and they like airheads with big boobs...it's all a matter of individuality.

I personally am attracted to medium build, athletic guys and not to overweight or overly hairy ones. I have a friend who LOVES a hairy gorilla man and her boyfriend is infact a tubby, fluffy kind. There's a human out there to please everyones eye just like there's a corn out there to please everyones eye.

I own 2 lovely normals and I think some of the normals I've hatched this season are quite striking but I'm also interested in the genetics side of raising cornsnakes as well as just keeping them so it makes sence from my perspective to have a great deal of variety as I'm interested in a broad range of colour permutations.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
colinmcc
Can't say I've ever noticed much in the way of "anti-normalism" on here. A bit of "normal indifference" at times I suppose but there are a lot of people on here trying to, and with a keen interest in, breeding loads of unusual morphs so I suppose it's to be expected.

You can't really be to harsh on normals anyway. If it wasn't for the original normals no-one would have any of these morphs in the first place.

Have noticed a few amels getting from time to time though ....

Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
PssdffJay
I can see where you are coming from. My personal preference is that on the scale, normals are at the bottom of what I like, but I don't have a favorite, well, Rich's blood red lav that is almost all purple is definitely at the top but I don't have $2000, let alone $2000 US funds!! thats like $7 Million Canadian, well OK, thats an exaggeration, but i digress.

I have seen one Normal that has really nice coloring that I like, its name is Zeth and he owns Holdenburn see him here:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21693

But I agree with princess, just personal opinion, but I am not saying that Normals should be bashed in anyway shape or form.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Bubbles
cheers for your replys i didnt think what i said would make any sence lol but meh guess i was wrong it did make some sence and i see what you are saying and i am also intrested in some of the morphs i probily wont favour them over other snakes i will have in the future but i admit there are some smashing coloured and patterned snakes out there that i would like to have. but yeah just gets me down when peeps treat other peeps differnt and was wondering if it went on with people treating differnt snakes different lol kinda stupid i suppose.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
PssdffJay
Here's my real beef with racism, with snakes, lets say corn snakes, they are a race, no matter what colour they are, they are one race. Same thing with humans that really makes me mad, they all talk about racism, but we are the HUMAN RACE, again, no matter what colour we are. But then again, i am very opinionated if you haven't already noticed from my posts in the London Bombings Thread. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Now I dont know if all snakes would fit under one race, probably, but I was just making a point.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
Chip
Errr.... rascism...??? I will say that I only work with "normals," so to speak. And I am proud of my locality animals. But comparing morphs to human races... I think you are the first and only on the forums to ever make that leap. Geez, I feel like I'm on a Eugenics mission now!

Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
PssdffJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo
Errr.... rascism...??? I will say that I only work with "normals," so to speak. And I am proud of my locality animals. But comparing morphs to human races... I think you are the first and only on the forums to ever make that leap. Geez, I feel like I'm on a Eugenics mission now!

Now, did you mean to say 'human races", pluralized it? B/c that is my point, one race, single, human race. lol, just my little pet peeve.

A for the leap, just a comparison, to try and make a point.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:04 AM   #9
princess
Bubbles, I had a though. When someone says 'It's just a normal, I'm not paying $80 for it'. They're not putting down normals as a group they're just observing that with so many normals out there they're not as valuable....the market is saturated. But put an $800 price tag on one of Rich's lavander bloodreds and you'd have people tearing out each others eyes to get to it!!! This is because there aren't so many available in the market. Mark my words, in 5 years, you'll be able to pick up a nice lavblood at a show for what you pay for a granite today.

Also, it's a bit anthromorphic really, the snake doesn't care what colour it is. I thoroughly doubt they have a sence of 'race'. As long as he gets his nice viv and a mouse a week, he's a happy snake....regardless of whether he was bought for $15 or $1500.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
Cornfan
I've encountered the opposite with people disliking the whole morph concept and preferring reptiles to remain as they would be found in the wild... as has already been said, there's a corn snake for everyone

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google