• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bleeding tail

Cuda

Well i just found my AWOL lucistic texas rat snake. Amazingly enough she survived the gauntlet of 5 cats, and 4 dogs. . . for the most part. One of the cats actually found her and pinned her by the tail. Now about 1/4" of her tail is missing and she is bleeding (not " heavily" but she leaves a trail.) Is this something to be worried about? I put her in her new, escape proof, home with paper towels. I also gave her a pinky mouse which she ate immediatly. She is about 18-20 inches and was missing for 11 days and was 18days due for a feeding.

Great Day :D :D :D

Thanks
Ben

Ben Cuda

She'll be fine. I'd suggest a dab of syptic power (sp?) to stop the bleeding, followed by Neosporin. Even talcum powder will work in a "pinch" (okay, pun intended :( ). Obviously, the tail will not grow back, but snakes heal really quickly... just keep her in a dry cage. Feed and care for as normal. I'm surprised you weren't worried about the well-being of the dogs and cats with a T. rat on the loose! :D

You laugh about that, but she was going to but up a heck of a fight had we not found her. She is such a sweet heart, never strikes hisses ect. But put a cat in the mix, and i guess you can throw domestication out the window :)
BTW thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if septic powder was safe to use.
Ben

A couple of other things you can use to stop the bleeding is corn starch or flour.

Congratulations! I'm glad you found her!

Don't mess with Texas.....

Rat snakes! Your cats and dogs are lucky it wasn't full grown! ;)

Nothing of value to add since CornCrazy beat me to the flour suggestion.

CAV...

You could add that flour and cornstarch are more "natural" products and would be better to use than talcum powder. Talcum powder typically has perfumes, etc. in them so i don't trust using them.

Sorry corncrazy

Perhaps I misrepresented. I was under the impression that if it was labeled talcum power, it was 100% talcum powder. Baby power, on the other hand lists fragrance as an ingredient.
By the way, who's crazier, Crazycorn or Corncrazy, that's always puzzled me? ;)

Cuda, we used syptic power on iguanas, turtles, and lizards with broken tails when I worked for a vet (who did lots of reptile work) in Durham, NC. I would suspect it would be safe for snakes, too.

I believe that most talcum powders have fragrances in them. I wasn't meaning to contradict you elrojo...I just have seen some ill effects from people using talcum powders. I've seen them cause some irritation to the tissue. I guess there may be some talcum powders that are 100% pure, and they would probably be safe to use.

As for styptic powder, I agree, it is safe to use on snakes. I have seen it used several times, with no ill effects.

And I think CrazyCorn is probably crazier ;) LOL!!!

Attachments

• wavey.gif
    wavey.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 56
Glad to have the craziness issue finally solved!

Where are you in Tennessee? I'd be open to meeting and seeing each other's collections as long as you aren't a rabid Vol's fan! ;) Just kidding, of course...

All I have as far as corns go are Okeetees (locality, not the "morph") and the occasional odd's n' ends I trade for with no good reason. But I do have womas, Asian rats, black milks, Sinaloan, Pueblan, graybands, and a few w/c Eastern kings, Eastern milks (well, one) and Black rats I just breed and release to keep local populations strong.

Back